1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

case hytran equivalent

Discussion in 'Tractor/Loader/Backhoes' started by dixon700, May 12, 2014.

1. dixon700

dixon700 Well-Known Member

heavy truck mechanic
    I believe the transaxle shuttle and brakes all on a 580sk call for case hytran. I will probably be changing the fluids shortly after purchase. Should I get the actual case hytran or does any hydraulic fluid that meets the case specs work?

2. melben

melben Senior Member

I recently retired from a Case dealer with whom I have spent my whole working career(52 yrs). I have seen more damaged components, seals swelled up in hydraulic cylinders, excessive gear wear, excessive noise in geartrains,and many other oil related issues. Without going into specifics I was personally threatened with a lawsuit for recommending only Case products as several bought a brand popular here in Pa. that swelled the packings in our 580 series hoes so they had to be put on our rollback and pulled apart with a winch.

I fully expect to get flamed for this post but you asked, Being unsure of the quality and the meeting of Case's specs in the hydraulic clutch power shuttle and seeing that that oil bathes the brakes and lubes the bearings and gears as well as filling the torque converter, I cannot recommend any substitute with the xception of one. Right now there is discussion on YTmag's site about suspicion of shortline oils breaking down the adhesive in PTO clutch discs and pictures of a suction screen virtually plugged with seperated lining material.

In short, If I were running a later Case piece of equipment I would use nothing but Hy Tran Ultra. It cost one man on the Case forum thousands to have every lined disc in his 1370 ag tractor replaced from running a cheap oil. I could buy a lot of Hy Tran for what his repair cost. FWIW, I also believe HY Gard by JD to be a quality oil.

OK guys, no piling on now

Mel

3. mitch504

mitch504 Senior Member

Doesn't the Hytran Ultra also have additives to handle water differently than most oils?

How sure are you of Hygard's compatibility? not it's quality, but compatibility. I have thought about using it, since the Case dealer is 70 miles, and the JD store is only 8, and I use Hygard in my JDs.

4. north1

north1 Member

Personally, I would use hytran ultra as I just purchased a 2006 590mII and plan to do the same. It is what is recommended in operators manual. I also use it in a case ih combine so already have it on hand though. By the same token, however; I have a versatile mfwd tractor that has the same transmission as case ih mfwd and it came from the factory with mobil 424, whereas same case-ih tractor comes from factory with hytran. So I use mobil 424 in the versatile tractor. I believe mobil 424 is a direct replacement for hyran and also Kubota udt.

5. lantraxco

lantraxco Senior Member

I had similar experiences when I worked for a Deere dealer with Deere machines and HyGard... In my opinion it's cheap insurance to use what the manufacturer says to use in drive train applications especially. The newer it is the more important that becomes also.

:my2c

6. willie59

willie59 Super Moderator

Service Manager
    Many years ago I had a customer that wanted an alternative in his 580 SK, I filled with a quality name brand oil and the machine developed brake chatter. Drained the oil, re-fill with Hy-Tran, no more brake chatter. I agree with others, it may seem expensive, but it's cheap insurance. Also, it's not like with the motor oil that you change way more often.

7. dixon700

heavy truck mechanic
    It's just I don't know of any case dealers around here... it's a kubota dealer I'm gonna be buying the tractor from... guess I'll have to see if they can get case hytran and get on the case site to find some dealers.

8. 1466IH

1466IH Senior Member

A case constuction or case ag dealer will sell it they use the same fluid in both lines of equipment

9. Deeretracks

Deeretracks Senior Member

Shop Foreman
    Anymore I stick with OEM fluid as much as possible but I can state that I have run Hygard in place of Hytrans in our 580L and 580SM's w/o issue. They meet the same specs and are designed for the same uses. Plus, Hygard doesn't stink like the Hytrans does. LOL

10. dixon700

heavy truck mechanic
    Found 2 just under 50 miles hetricks and kahle. So if my kubota dealer can't get the hytran I know where to look.

11. JNB

JNB Senior Member

Flyin' low and rollin' slow...
    I'd read somewhere that New Holland MasterTran is the same as CASE HyTran Ultra. It makes sense, but can anyone verify?

12. dixon700

heavy truck mechanic
    I've read that jd hyguard meets the hytran spec, but not the other way around so is hyguard held to a higher spec and is the best fluid? What is the best possible fluid for my 580k? Idt I should run travelers in everything.

13. dixon700

heavy truck mechanic
    I've also seen that Mobil 424 exceeds hytran spec.