• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case dozer rough riding on new undercarriage??

Hey guys never had this problem before but I just bought first 2015 case 650L dozer and after I got it off and ran it little it is shaking me like a rag doll! It has new pads, chain, sprocket, idler wheel it should be riding like a caddy, but it will beat you to death it shouldn’t be doing this please help!

Welder Dave

How tight are the tracks? I guess it's possible the new rails could be stiff and need to be driven a bit to break them in.

BillG

My eyes are not that great anymore but it looks to me like the lower roller flanges are riding on the pin bosses. How many hours are on the new undercarriage. Also how worn were the grousers on old pads and what kind of surface are you running on?

Not much and they sitting good bit from the pins. Clay and sand but it’s like riding over rip rap rocks. Would idler supports and not being shimmed right make it like that

I just got rid of John Deere 750 and rollers rail and l was worn still road hood but this stuff was newer and even trying to grade like riding on blocks

Tinkerer

Can you post some photos of the entire track (front to back) ?
Nasty looking sproket segments. IMHO.
Pictures are deceiving but it appears that the sprocket teeth were trimmed for clearance with the frame.
sproket.jpg

Last edited:

Welder Dave

I've seen that style of sprocket on Case machines before. The bottom rollers do not look new as the flanges seem too tall in relation to the roller diameter. It sure looks like the flanges are hitting the pin bosses. You can see a bit of a gouge on the pin boss in your 2nd pic. This would definately make the ride rough. Also looks like excessive rubbing on the sides of the rails. I don't know if it's possible that the undercarriage could be mis-matched if it's apparently all new. Case had rails similar to Cat system one with rotating bushings. Not sure if they were an option or what your machine came with originally. Could the rollers not be correct for the rails or vice/versa if aftermarket rails weren't available with the rotating bushings?

Last edited:

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
I agree with Welder Dave on the bottom rollers not being new, (from 2nd photo appearance). While it could be parallax error in the camera angle, the roller's bearing surface does appear deformed as in dozing on a slope such as the left side of the machine being lower in elevation than the right. The roller flange also looks "thinned" to me also from the same scenario. Regardless, diminished roller bearing surface diameter riding on/against the new chains could very well cause pin boss interference as has been cited. As mentioned, incorrect, or mismatched parts, (especially aftermarket) should be compared to OEM machine specifications.

So get new rollers on the bottom? And on my other dozer the rollers was worn out but it still never shook like this can it be the idler shims not in it cause it has a gap under

nicky 68a

I’m not experienced in Case dozers,but that’s a strange looking undercarriage for a little dozer.Is it possible it’s the wrong set of track groups?
Doesn’t look right somehow.