• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CASE CX17B - Swing Book Stuck full right

Hi all. First time user and novice.
I have my mates excavator at my house and I’m trying to fix it and I’m struggling with my book swing so reaching out.

I have Case CX17B excavator. (FYI I don’t have service manual yet but might need one it looks like)

I was replacing the lower pin in the swing boom which I did. I noticed that the grease nipple had broken off so I swung the book to full right so I could replace it, which I did, but the boom will not swing back to left so it is stuck full right direction.

There is no response and no noise when pushing pedal hard left.

I’m at a loss what to do. Can someone pls assist me with ideas to get it swinging again - or just to manually get it back to centre as I don’t use swing much anyway.

Thx Heaps.

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day
Often small machines with boom swing have limiting device it may be an issue connected to this, if you have a hydraulic schematic you can post I will try to help some more.
Kind regards
Uffex

Thank You very much. I have attached what I believe to be a schematic plus other as this might help - from the service manual which I purchased today. Any assistance would be much appreciated.
Thank YouSlew Hydraulic Diagram.pngHydraulic System.pngHydraulic System TOC.pngCase CX17B Service Manual Index.pngSlew Hydraulic Diagram.pngHydraulic System.pngHydraulic System TOC.pngCase CX17B Service Manual Index.png

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day Dale
I need to straighten out a detail we are talking about the boom swing and not the superstructure revolving on the undercarriage, please see illustration. If you have the diagram in PDF format it helps.
Kind regards
Uffex

Attachments

• Case swing-slew.pdf
    858.9 KB · Views: 2
Thx Uffex.
It is the boom swing. As you can see in the picture the boom is stuck full right. I can spin the superstructure around no issues. Hope this clarifies.

Attachments

• 7BE68BA4-B8CC-499A-8F5A-6BD807E8BF38.jpeg
    7BE68BA4-B8CC-499A-8F5A-6BD807E8BF38.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day
I have checked the hydraulic schematic you posted, it fails to give details of the boom swing control, see attached. It may be that this is detailed on another page of your manual. The Pgn. files loose resolution when you magnify the file. I don't know if you have the same in a PDF format, but that could help. I am taking a guess when you control the boom swing, it is by a separate lever.
Kind regards
Uffex

Attachments

• Main valve.jpeg
    Main valve.jpeg
    17.3 KB · Views: 3

skyking1

they are typically a direct acting valve operated by a foot pedal. I do not think it is a pilot valve.

Thank you. I have a provided a link to the manual which is on my one drive in PDF format this might be the easiest way. The boom swing is controlled by foot pedal. It has cover to prevent accidental use. You flip the cover and then use the pedal to swing right (which I did to full extent) and left. Pls excuse the pictures of the machine we were trying to investigate hydraulics but it is hard to get to the cylinder and assoc hydraulic lines. It’s really tight. I’m hoping the link works. Thx heaps.

https://1drv.ms/b/s!AoA5FPLlWhGus2v7HnovTta-Viv1

Attachments

• 78BC93EE-A044-4D5C-A5F9-86D49E112FDF.jpeg
    78BC93EE-A044-4D5C-A5F9-86D49E112FDF.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • 021EAA36-07A2-442A-ABC2-199811AC4C42.jpeg
    021EAA36-07A2-442A-ABC2-199811AC4C42.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2
  • ED5B1C6E-FF0F-42E2-9123-D7151B61C678.jpeg
    ED5B1C6E-FF0F-42E2-9123-D7151B61C678.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
  • 172E06D7-3355-427B-9DC1-9396018C9D2A.jpeg
    172E06D7-3355-427B-9DC1-9396018C9D2A.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
B04FA665-7FBB-4DC0-9546-DF71AFFFAB82.jpeg
Please find a photo of the fuse box. There is an empty spot which looks to be for a fuse or a could be. Intentionally left empty, so I’m hesitant to throw a fuse in there without knowing what size. I don’t know how to read the service manual to tell me. Maybe this could be part of the issue?

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day Dale
The manaul gave me something I could read a 90% improvement, I have made you some information please see attached.
Kind regards
Uffex

Attachments

• CX17B BoomSwing.pdf
    961.8 KB · Views: 9

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day again
If you can photo that slice of the main valve I may be able to identify that check valve.
Keep smiling
Uffex

Thank you. I will see if I can get to see it. It is extremely crowded in there. I will revert afterwards.but wont be today. Appreciate your assistance.

Hello. Once again, thanks for your assistance. I have attempted to view the check valve, and it’s simply not visible without pulling a lot of stuff out. It’s likely beyond me. As an interim measure, which may turn into not interim, I have reversed the hoses on the hydraulic cylinder and brought the boom back to centre then swapped hoses back and disconnected foot pedal. Now it doesn’t have boom swing. It’s usable however. I’ll continue to investigate this matter because it was a handy feature of the machine. Thanks for all your help everybody

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day
You could use the slew with the boom end against a tree or similar to force the swing to the left, it will also force the check valve to flush, clearing any rubbish from the valve.
Kind regards
Uffex