• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case, Cat, and Yanmar 5 tonn shopping

burmahiker

Hi all!

I am a Canadian (Chilliwack BC) living in Norway trying to buy a machine in England! :confused: The prices here are crazy and its half the price in England after shipping so let the games begin...
My question to you all is if you have any advice or exprience with a Case CX50 (2004), Cat 305CR (2005), or a Yanmar VIO45(2004). I am looking to buy one with low hours (under 2500 if I can) that is a couple years old, and am looking for any usual pitfalls, weak points, etc, if you stack these three up. Appreciate all the help I can get! Thanks. Also, if anyone knows where I can get a brochure or spec sheet on these that would be great! I've seen spec-check ($$$), but being that they aren't current models the manufacturers websites seems to be a no go. ideas?:notworthy

Occupation
Caterpillar shop mechanic
Hi.

If you are situated in Norway, go to www.pon-cat.com and choose the norwegian site. There you should be able to find some brochures on the Caterpillar 305.

Pon Equipment is the Norwegian Caterpillar dealer ;)

bobcat ron

Banned
Occupation
playing with the new 247 MTL
Go for the Cat, being from your old stomping ground,(Abbotsford) Cat's are the only mini's I ever see, they seem to hold up better than the Case painted Kobelco's.

burmahiker

Thanks for the pon cat mention. I am familiar with them, but I can only find new model brochures, and I know there have been substantial changes made from the Case CX50 - CX50B, as well as the Cat 305 CR - 305C CR (or on pon-cat they only have the 304C CR??). I have seen places on the web that do old spec or brochure archives, but can't find any for these. As it is I bought the Case CX50. I actually think I like several aspects of the Cat better, but the price was good so I'll give the Case a whirl and if I don't like it I'll move to the CAT. Thanks again.

burmahiker

hey Bobcat Ron!
Cool to hear of people from Abby! I build quite of few houses there in the early 90's. I agree with you re the CAT but it worked our for a super cheap good condition 2004 CX50 which I couldn't say no to. Interestingly enough, I have seen the Kobelco's in US & Canada and they look nothing like Kobelco's here. I think that actually here the Kobelcos are made by Fiat Kobelco, and there they and Case are made by Sumitomo. Here the Kobelco's have all been zero tail swing for many years. Whereas my Case isn't.:rolleyes:

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
I have the Vio 27, bit over 1000 hrs now. Its a very good machine, functional and robust. I'm glad I didn't buy the Cat as this machine was significantly cheaper and does most things as well and better in many cases. I have been watching a Vio 35 and Vio 45 in my area. Both operators are very happy with the machines. Yanmar is very popular in Europe.

burmahiker

Thanks for the input squizzy. I tried a VIO45 while I was in England but the service at that place (used lot) wasn't that great, and the machine was pretty beat on as it was a rental (even though it only had 2300 hours, they were heavy hours!), so I didn't go for it. I like the extra cab room that the Yanmar's have and your right that they are becoming more and more popular here! Could be my next one when I move up to a 7 tonn...:cool:

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
I've spent quite a bit of time in a Yanmar Vio55-5, I'm not sure when the series 5 machines were released, but it's an '07 as it was new this summer. Yanmar machines, to my knowledge, have been very good machines long term. The machine I ran had 200 hours when I first started running it, it's up to about 400 now or so. I didn't have anything very negative to say, although I wish it had a little more crowd force. Other than that, they're a decent machine to operate. I've also run the 45-5, same story there, the 55 and 45 are almost the same machine with a little more reach, width, and weight on the 55.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
I have noticed my Yanmar is as you say stronger on the dipper than the bucket crowd......which is the reverse of the KX 161 Kubota. Either way, pound for pound the Yanmar is stronger than the Kubotas.......but not as stronger as some Cats I have run but the Cats don't have the finesse. I think Yanmar are pushing the right buttons with there good all around performance...its just nice and steady to operate. We manage to do some incredible things with ours...which we have not right to expect.

Kaiser talks about the hydraulics setups resulting in "arm diggers" and "bucket diggers".

Gavin Phillips

Occupation
office worker