• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case Carraro transmission pressure

Danny20

We have a Case 586g forklift that we are having problems with. I believe it might have pump issues and my question is where do I find the procedure to check pressures? I have looked online and haven't had any luck. Any help would be appreciated.

Vetech63

You may want to explain the issue with the machine. It may not necessarily be a pump issue depending on the conditions and symptoms.

Danny20

It tends to slip when you shift from neutral to forward or reverse. After it quits slipping its fine until you go back to neutral. We have changed the circlip in the valve checked the solenoid, and changed filter, screen and fluid. It works good after the initial slipping after you put it in gear.

melben

Occupation
Retired 50 Yrs with Case dealership
It tends to slip when you shift from neutral to forward or reverse. After it quits slipping its fine until you go back to neutral. We have changed the circlip in the valve checked the solenoid, and changed filter, screen and fluid. It works good after the initial slipping after you put it in gear.
How long does it slip, That valve has a modulation piston circuit which keeps the drive from slamming in and it's action feels like a soft engagement if it is right. If you changed the snap ring you may have seen that small orifice on the thin plate that metered the modulation piston movement, as the clutch engagement pressure builds,when the pressure pushes the modulation piston in it ( the piston) pushes the pressure regulating spring tighter to give maximum system pressure, this is a brief soft slip to keep the shift from slamming. At any rate you need a service manual too show the test ports which are the plugs in the center of the valve that you had removed for the snap ring replace.

Last edited:

Danny20

It will slip for 2-8 seconds after that its fine until you go back to neutral. You can stop and go with out problem as long as you don't take it out of gear.

melben

Occupation
Retired 50 Yrs with Case dealership
2-8 would be to long , If you have not I would drain the reverser oil and remove the suction screen and check it. It is on the side of the housing down low. Charge pump failure is a possibility and can be checked by removing the trans filter, cutting it apart and seeing if it is full of metal debris.