• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 850D belly pans removal

Brent Zeirott

Occupation
Retired
So I want to take the belly pans off and clean all the junk out. I was wondering how anyone else did this. I have some railroad ties. Was thinking of using the blade to put some ties under the front tracks, then use a couple under the blade. Emergency brake is on. Was hoping that would give me enough clearance to slide under and un bolt. Since it’s on gravel I was going to lay 3/4 plywood down and use a ATV jack. Lower them down and slide them out. Is there another technique anyone uses? Is there a sequence front to back? Or will they individually drop out?
I’m by myself so I don’t have any help. Was just looking for ideas,
Also where can I get a converter temperature gauge? Mine is broke
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_4856.jpeg
    IMG_4856.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 10

JEVANS

Can’t say for certain it will work for your machine, but I run a come-along from one track to the other track under the pan. Pull it tight, remove the bolts then lower the come along. The perfect scenario would be to weld two lifting lugs/eyes on the pan close to each end and on both sides and use 2 come alongs to put them back up. That way you can kind of control the pitch to get it in position.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
The preferred method will depend on how bent up they are. Take a look at them, a lot of machines have a hinge on one side or one end of the pan. I have found the strap or come along method to work best, it does mean several potential trips out from under the machine when you’re installing the pan but it does leave more room to work underneath and clean things out. There’s always more crap in there than you realize lol.

Brent Zeirott

Occupation
Retired
Hey, you have one too! Nice. I have to get a parts book and a service manual. I need a converter temperature gauge. And a fuel pump. Any suggestions?

chidog

If you need height I'd drive it up on the blocks, make sure its stable. Raise blade and rest it on blocks at the ends or corners.
Use either the chain hoist trick, or jack. Those pans likely feathers compared to D8 and D9 stuff.
I never had help removing belly pans.

Brent Zeirott

Occupation
Retired
Yep, thank you for the advice. I have some short rail road ties. I need all the clearance I can get. I’m not 20 anymore, nor is my belly. I’m sure it’s full of debris. I never have help either.

dandugi

On my 850D I just put a floor jack up against it tight, take out the bolts, and let it down then drag it out. I also use the floor jack to put them back on, just have to keep the jack centered on it. The pans are not really that heavy, you can work with them. The biggest thing might be crawling under it, I'm not that big and had room, but you could drive the machine on some blocks to give you some room if you need it. I initially had a problem with a couple bolts, the nuts on the inside frame are welded in a small cage on the frame. A couple of them were ruined, and the nuts would spin, so took some extra work to reach in for those.

Brent Zeirott

Occupation
Retired
Thanks, since I’ve posted this, that’s what I did, drove it up on some blocks and used plywood and a ATV jack and rolled them out. I knew my right brake didn’t work when I bought it. Upon further inspection it turns out that little brake slave is leaking when I filled up the master cylinder. I hope those aren’t too hard to replace.

dandugi

Thanks, since I’ve posted this, that’s what I did, drove it up on some blocks and used plywood and a ATV jack and rolled them out. I knew my right brake didn’t work when I bought it. Upon further inspection it turns out that little brake slave is leaking when I filled up the master cylinder. I hope those aren’t too hard to replace.
I rarely ever use the brakes. Make turns using the high/low levers. Example, to turn right, put the left track in high and the right track in low. Only if I am wanting to spin for example, I'll put the left in low, right in neutral, and tap the right brake. But I have not replaced anything on the brakes before. Reminder, DO NOT put brake fluid in the master cylinders, they take Case TCH fluid, the same fluid that goes in the transmission.