• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 850B

ktmsprocket

Hi All, My first post here.
I am a beginner in this area as I am just about to buy a small farm and it comes with the above dozer.

I've taken some photos and was wondering if anything came to mind as you look at them.

(First task is to put an MX track on a slightly undulating area)

Many Thanks.

Attachments

• DSC_2583.JPG
    DSC_2583.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 2,042
  • DSC_2586.JPG
    DSC_2586.JPG
    133.8 KB · Views: 1,597
  • DSC_2591.JPG
    DSC_2591.JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 1,601
Last edited:

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Welcome KTM,
Nice paint job!
Not sure about what you mean about "anything coming to mind"???
The ripper frame on your machine is alot older than an 850B - off an early 850 model.
Machine looks pretty straight - tracks don't look too bad either.
How much do you know about machinery? Do you know how to operate?
BTW, the 850B is a track type loader. Hope all goes well for you - happy digging.

Last edited:

ktmsprocket

I'm a practical guy mechanically but never had anything to do with heavy machinery.

The farm we are buying is only small (200 acres) and has undulating land with the odd bit of steep (mostly grassed areas).

The idea is to use the 850b to clean up some small tree re-growth, fix or push some minor access roads (tracks) into some areas (say along fence lines) and also to the basics of putting an MX track in.

Later I expect to trade the dozer for a skid steer or someting like a JCB backhoe. There is no hurry but I'm keen to learn from people who do things right.

TALLRICK

That's a decent track loader. It will do the job you want for sure. You can build an MX track with it fairly easily. With any track loader maintenance is always a concern. You also have the combination bucket which will make your machine all the more versatile. That leak on the bucket cylinder is not too bad, but you can rebuild them for not a lot of money when necessary. Skid steers are faster and more fun but you can move more dirt with each pass using that track loader and lift higher. As for operating it is out there in a wide open space so you will figure it out pretty easily. Again, watch for leaks, check fluids and pay attention to the gauges and look for things that do not seem quite right.

ktmsprocket

Tallrick...thanks for those words. Its nice to start off knowing that the equipment will do the job. Another guy suggested I go do a training course which is probably a good idea and may save some effort and increase safety.