• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 688G parking brake not working

djb1053

We have a Case 688G and the parking brake quit working. The rocker switch works but the brake doesn't. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about it, even where the brake is at? Thanks.

Goose

The park brake could be on the rear axle. There is a cylinder that manually applies the service brakes. The cylinder hooks to a lever on each side of the differental and is spring loaded in the extend and retracts with hydraulic pressure to release the brakes. If not on the rear axle like described it will be on the pinion shaft of the front axle. If it is this type you can see an extra housing on the housing were the pinion goes into the axle housing that the rear axle does not have.

djb1053

I'm not too sure how familiar you are with these but what happened is one time we were useng it and the brake was dragging so we rocked it back and forth until it broke loose. the electric rocker switch still works because we have to have it on to start it and to put it in gear. but when we turn the switch on or shut off the engine we loose all braking power and the parking brake fails to apply. and it looks like it does have the brake on the front axle. I was wondering how the brake releases? From hydraulic pressure? and since it didn't release one time did we brake it?

Goose

The brake is spring and pressure released. If it the front pinion style brake the friction discs may be worn out or more likely the splines on the discs are stripped and not holding the pinion locked. Usually what damages the splines is hauling the machine with loose chains and the machine rocking back and forth against the brakes.