• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 60XT--How do you get to the back of the ignition switch?

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Silly me. I volunteered to get involved in changing the ignition switch in this case 60XT. The problem is, it's not obvious how to access the inside of the instrument cluster where it's located.

I asked the guy at the parts counter, and he suggested that the way in is to take the headlight out, but that's not as simple as it might seem either. It looks like it might just pop out, but I didn't want to pry too hard without knowing for sure.

0315161024.jpg

There's a seam between the part of the box that holds the headlight, and the part that holds the other stuff, with two little holes in the bottom, but some gentle prying didn't make it pop apart there either. (You're looking at the bottom. I should've rotated the pic 90 degrees.)
0315161022.jpg

On the face of the panel, there's no obvious way to open it. It is obvious that the switch is held in place by the nut on the outside, and slides out backwards through the hole. I just don't want to break anything trying to get in there. What's the trick? :confused:

0315161023.jpg

Thanks in advance to anybody that can help.

GaryHoff

Occupation
Heavey Equipment Mechanic
If I remember right, you pop out the light, and you can get to the cluster screws, then the ignition switch.

xt light.jpg

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
As promised--Yes, that did the trick.

When we were looking at it the other day, I was inside the cab, and the guy that usually maintains the machine was outside. He was trying to pop the headlight out, but was actually trying to pop the lens out of the light. In retrospect, it seems kind of stupid that we didn't figure it out ourselves, but I knew I could get the answer here, so I figured it was best not to push our luck.

Gee, now I know why everybody likes HEF so much! :D

Thanks again, Gary.