• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 590 Super N charging problem

Dave Z

I have a 2011 Case 590 Super N that's not charging, anybody have a wiring diagram for it by chance ? It has a 120A Iskra alternator on it that has what appears to me to be an external voltage regulator on it. It has a 3 wire plug connected to it that has a 12V hot (to the center terminal of the plug) with the key turned on ignition. The 2 end terminals have neither power or ground. The heavy wire (high current charging) has battery voltage to it and the alternator case is grounded as it should be. I'm guessing its a bad alternator but I hate to guess till I ruled out a wiring issue to what I'm thinking is a external voltageregulator. I included 3 pics - Thanks in advance for anybody's help.

Attachments

• IMG_5965.jpg
    IMG_5965.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5964.jpg
    IMG_5964.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5968.jpg
    IMG_5968.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 10

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Usually if you are only reading battery voltage at output wire it means that the alt. is bad.

Dave Z

yeah I just want to be sure before I use the dartboard approach of diagnostics, don't wanna spend $ on a replacement alternator unless I know its bad.

Dave Z

Figured it out, center wire on regulator plug supply's voltage to turn regulator on or "excite" alternator, 2 outer wires on plug feed current to tach and hourmeter.