• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 590 ST error codes

Jesper

Hello everyone
Has a Case 590 ST with 2 error codes every time I start the machine.

Code
#1 4043
#2 4005
Hope someone has an idea what’s wrong?
Thanks

Tinkerer

Welcome to HEF Jesper,
I don't know what the codes indicate. But your machine is a European model and not many of us on HEF have access to the service manual.
Do you have a CNH dealer nearby that you ask ?

Tinkerer

Unless someone has access to the codes for both machines it would not be a good idea to assume they have the same code lineup.
I have the service manual for the 580L,590L and the the 590 super L, but they have nothing in them in regards to fault codes.
There was a discussion about codes in this thread. https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/super-n-error-codes.47195/
I don't know if there is anything in that thread that would help you.
Maybe Alrman or Coy will read this and be able to help you.

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Hilarious that you pay alot of money to purchase a CNH service manual to repair one of their machines ....... & they won't tell you how to fix it. o_O

fpgm04

I guess I don’t reach the same conclusion on the manual information. From my viewpoint there is more than enough information in the manual to diagnose these codes. Alrman, Tinkerer, Please feel free to disagree with me as I certainly respect your experience and knowledge.

There is a roughly a page of text and pictures for each code in the manual along with a diagnostic procedure, below is a few lines from each code as a start. See the manual for full description and troubleshooting procedures.

4005-Downshift delayed due to possible engine overspeed
Cause:
Downshift delayed due to possible engine overspeed condition. Downshift was not accomplished because vehicle speed is too high. This is an informational fault code and no further troubleshooting is required.
Solution:
Fault Code 4005 is displayed on the Instrument Cluster to warn the operator that the downshift was not accomplished due to excessive engine speed
More follows…..

My read is someone likely attempted to force a manual downshift on a steep incline with the engine at high RPM and the transmission controller was protecting the driveline and engine from overspeed. The only thing to fix here is some operator training.

4043-Temperature sensor input (Pin 43) is shorted to a ground
Cause:
The transmission temperature signal input is shorted to ground.
Possible failure modes:
1. Faulty wiring or connections from the Transmission Temperature Sensor to the Transmission Controller.
2. Faulty sensor
3. Faulty Transmission controller
Diagnostic procedure follows…

As I mentioned on other threads, besides the fault code, it is important to note the last fault occurrence hour meter value, the occurrence count, current hour meter, and other information to get the most value out of the codes.

Last edited:

Tinkerer

No offense taken fpmg04 !
What chapter and pages are the codes on ? Maybe I missed it or, it was omitted in the copy I have.
Whenever a manual is either downloaded or purchased on a CD the recipient is taking a risk that some of the pages are missing.