• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 590 SL backhoe controls

cgraham1

My 590 SL came with 4 stick controls and foot swing. How hard is it to change over to joystick controls. I learned on a 1958 Case 310, but after running a small tractor with joysticks, it's hard to go back to the levers on the 590. Thanks!:)

CAT D9H

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
I have never changed one over, but I would say get used to the sticks , I would imagine to change it over to joysticks wouldnt be very cheap , I'm not dead sure but I think you would maybe change hyd. pumps, definatly the valve body and of course buy the joysticks or wobble sticks , which ever you are wanting to use, now remember I am not completly sure about all that you would need to change , but I am pretty sure that it wouldnt be cheap

Goose

Most Case dealers will have a set or 2 sitting around. We usually trade them out for $150.00 to $200.00 exchange. It is not a bad job, pretty much bolts and pins to replaced the control assembly and then adjusting the linkage. The hardest part is swapping the spring on the swing spool to the lighter tension for the handswing. We usually charge 2-3 hours to swap them.

Goose

They are the same thing on the L series. You have foot swing or handswing controls. In the handswing you have the option of what side the boom and dipper controls are on. True joyshick controls are pilot controls that did not come out until the M series in Case world.

CAT D9H

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Sorry didnt mean to throw you for a loop wobble sticks are the ones that are mounted in front of you like the ones in your 590 im sure , like the ones in JD,and older Cat backhoes , joysticks are excavator style controls mounted to each side , basically nothing in front of you , I hope that makes sense

CAT D9H

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Goose, you must type way faster then I do, your post wasnt there when I started typing my last one

JS580SL

Occupation
operator
We had a 2000 Super L with chopsticks. I use to like that configuration the best. I started a new job running a 580 with 4stick foot swing. After 5-6weeks of doing gas main work with it, I love the 4stick and wouldnt want to go back. Better feel and accuracy. More natural going forward and backward than side to side. Its more movement in the fingers and feet but shoulders feel much better not moving side to side all day.

It's a real pain in the ass to switch patterns but I'd give it a shot before switching. Just my 2 cents, every one is different. Good luck, the SL's are great backhoes!

gggraham

Occupation
Licensed Heavy Duty Equipment Mechanic
Control swap in a 590SL would take about 1/2 - 1 hour. Its not that big a deal. Our dealership will usually swap controls out at the cost of labour if we have a used 2 stick set in stock. We'd keep the 4 lever and install a 2 lever.Save yourself some money unbolt the old 4 lever tower. That way all the dealer has to do is put in the 2 stick controls and change the swing centering spring.

cgraham1

We had a 2000 Super L with chopsticks. I use to like that configuration the best. I started a new job running a 580 with 4stick foot swing. After 5-6weeks of doing gas main work with it, I love the 4stick and wouldnt want to go back. Better feel and accuracy. More natural going forward and backward than side to side. Its more movement in the fingers and feet but shoulders feel much better not moving side to side all day.

It's a real pain in the ass to switch patterns but I'd give it a shot before switching. Just my 2 cents, every one is different. Good luck, the SL's are great backhoes!
I actually got used to running the machine within a few days and now I wouldn't want to change over!:D