• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CASE 588G King Pins

Jeff W.

Thought I would post this in here, working on a Case 588G forklift 4wd with the carraro axle, king pins have worn into the axle housing. Can't be the first machine this has happened on, I know the backhoe's use the same axle. What is the best way to fix it?

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
How bad is it Jeff? Are the bottom bores just wallowed out or have they broken off the end of the main housing?

Jeff W.

The bottom hole isn't bad but the top hole is wallowed out pretty good, was going to weld it in but it would be more precise if I had a sleeve machined and welded that in. Nothing is broken off the axle, just has a little too much wheel lean.

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
That's strange Jeff, I have seen many problems on those axles & never seen the top bushing give any trouble before. No matter how bad the lower ones have been, the top ones are usually so tight, I have to shrink the bushings to change them.
Most times with the lower bore, one half of the hole is near perfect condition. To get guys going fast I have filled the worn areas using a nickel electrode & by just using a burr & grinding stones almost the same size as the bearing, I have been able to reclaim the hole, good enough to tap the bearing cup back into position. When complete, be sure the bottom of the hole gives the bearing a good even support all way round or else it won't last long.
It's not the textbook way to repair (removal & stripping of axle, welding & line boring) but when given the options, owners always choose the "get me going quick" option.

I'm not sure what your hole will look like, but having the half good hole to start with gives you a good guide for bearing position. Using the nickel rods is expensive, but they work a treat with the ductile iron & if it needs to be machined at a later date, they won't crystalize the casting as using normal type rods will do - & risk breaking the housing under load!
BTW - be sure to show the operator/s what a grease gun looks like & tell them to use it often!

Jeff W.

Airman, thanks for the response, I had done a little research online regarding the ductile iron and it seemed like nickel was the way to go. I'll try to post some pics when I can. Jeff