• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580sk - Suction screen removal

Madaco

I'm trying to take off the suction screen on the transaxle of my 94 case 580sk.

The elbow goes into a treaded piece and it looks like a collar is around that.

Anyone know if the whole elbow gets turned out or if the collar is just twisted back? It is so rusted I can't tell if the collar is part of thr machine or not? I really don't want to start going to town on this until I know what is supposed to move lol. Thanks!

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Welcome to HEF @Madaco
The 90 degree elbow is turned to gain access to the screen.
I usually use a large pair of multigrip pliers to loosen the thin locknut.
If the elbow is very rusty & the fitting is tight - you will need to be careful not to damage the tubing.

Madaco

Thanks arlman, seems like the thin locknut you mentioned is my issue, very tight. Will hit it with penetrating oil and try out some multigrip pliers.

Madaco

****, looks like I have some metal filings in the suction screen, not sure when this was changed last

alrman

Occupation
Run a magnet inside the suction tube & also UNDER the internal suction tube - so that the magnet picks up anything on the floor of the transaxle housing.
Can you post pictures of what you have found?

Madaco

Unfortunately I did not have a magnet on me and pressed for time, had to get it all back together.

The filings were pretty small, there was some grey sludge along the bottom of the screen. I was able to remove the filings from the screen and as much as I could from under it. The old oil was pretty gross and gray.

Good news is that after I put it all together and filled it up with new HyTran Ultra the trans filter warning light went out and 3rd and 4th gear have much more power.

alrman

Occupation
Hmmm..... grey sludge is cast iron. It would be coming from either the brake discs being worn & grinding away on the piston/backing plate.
OR it could be coming from the park brake located at the front of the transaxle - same thing, disc being worn out & grinding away the actuator.

See this thread.

Did you cut open the filter?

Last edited:

Madaco

Ahh, that makes sense i had the brakes done last year and they were pretty torn up. I will cut open the filter tomorrow, thanks!!

TinaV

Just a wee bit more info for any newbies: To remove the transaxle suction screen, you need to remove the two gasket clamps that are holding the rubber sleeve over the connection points of the elbow to the tube that runs along the underbelly. Push-turn the sleeve up off the joint so the elbow will be free. Then unscrew the elbow (you may have to hold the rest of the tube up out of the way so you can spin it).

The screen will be still inside. Do a little wiggling and loosening of the screen from the sides of the transaxle with a screwdriver and your fingers until you can pull it out.

Last edited:

TinaV

Thank you! Happy to be here. I just inherited my father's 580 SK. I am working through getting it caught up on maintenance. This is the site that seems to have all of the answers. Thank you to all the contributors!