• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580SE or D? Help ID

Ironworker709

First off..i am BRAND new to heavy equipment,so please understand any dumb questions i have..lol

I bought a Case 580 dirt cheap to maintain our dirt road and will be clearing some of my property for a shop
I need help ID this thing so i can get a service manual and order parts

I found where the serial number tag is supposed to be,and it has been painted over at some point and is not legible at all
it has lots of leaks..backhoe hoses near the swing cylinders,,the left outrigger cylinder is the worst so far,getting someone to repack it,the steering wheel has the common(from what i read so far) leak under the steering wheel leaking down the column
I want to change the gear oil in the rear axle(it's a 2wd) and i've been reading conflicting stories as to what fluid to use..HyTrans..80/90..75/140..may need a friction modifier?..etc

one weird thing,the dash panel has the original sticker on it that is barely legible that it is a 580 Special E..but the loader arms use to have 580D on it
This thing runs and operates VERY strong as is..just leaks..fires up with a quick turn of the key. it is the 207 D engine..no smoke and runs great...digs like a charm,all 4 gears work great,trans works great....backhoe work flawless..etc...i just want to do maintenance on it and repair major leaks before i put it to work...i am uploading a few pictures for help IDing it
The first pic is where i found serial number tag behind the right outrigger,i tried to scrap some of the paint off,,but there is no numbers on it..there is a 7 digit number stamped under the tag on the frame..5437154..could not find any info on that number what so ever anywhere

Attachments

• caseSerialnumbers.jpg
    caseSerialnumbers.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 31
  • caseD.jpg
    caseD.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 29
  • caseSE.jpg
    caseSE.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 30
  • casecab.jpg
    casecab.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 29

Ironworker709

It only allows me to lad 4 pics at a time..so here is more.........

Attachments

• caseEngine.jpg
    caseEngine.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 27
  • caseEngine1.jpg
    caseEngine1.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 26
  • casegears.jpg
    casegears.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 27
  • casehoecontrols.jpg
    casehoecontrols.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 27

Ironworker709

and more.......

Attachments

• casehoecylinders.jpg
    casehoecylinders.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 25
  • caseneutral.jpg
    caseneutral.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 21
  • caseaxledipstck.jpg
    caseaxledipstck.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 23

Ironworker709

one More....
Today i am doing some pressure washing with some engine degreaser and simple green to pinpoint the existing leaks..lots of the hoses look rough but not leaking at the moment,,a few look brand new replaced..
Just need a good service manual for reference to do all the maintenance and get correct part numbers to replace what is needed

Attachments

• casedash.jpg
    casedash.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 20

Tinkerer

Welcome to HEf, Ironworker709 from an Operating Engineer-150 !
There are no dumb questions on HEF.
That serial number plate in the picture isn't the tractor serial number.
The tractor serial number will be on the left side of the steering wheel column.
Don't scratch the tags. Use paint remover to clean them.
Don't buy any manuals after you figure out which model you have.
You can get them or links to them for free here on HEF.

Ironworker709

Thanks Tinkerer!...been on here for long time..didn't even know until i went to sign up yesterday..lol

there is a possibility we may have worked the same jobs before..i used to work that area a lot hanging iron and welding.. especially IW Local 292 South Bend,,Notre Dame..the Mishawaka Hummer plant back in the 90's..and a few other jobs....also work Chicago 1 wayyy back in the days.....

I just went and looked..no tags or numbers anywhere on or around the steering column and took a few pictures to post too..the last picture shows where that big label says its a 580 Super E
I just finished washing the dirt and oil off the backhoe cylinders area,i was going to use my old electric pressure washer, haven't used it in a few years..worked for literally about 30 seconds and quit...lol...so i just sprayed an engine degreaser everywhere in there,and after 15 minutes of waiting i just hosed it all off well and seemed to do a good job..gonna wait a while for the water to dry,so i can see where the leaks are,,,the cylinders are not leaking in there, seems to be the ends of the hoses,just trying to figure out which ones so i can replace them
I am also going to grease everything up today, i always use the Lucas Xtra Heavy duty grease on all my tucks and cars,i am assuming that is good for it?...i can see where only some it has been greased recenly,bot a lot of it has not...all the pins on this thing seems very tight and no slop,so that's a plus...the steering tie rods a bit loose,,going to replace them ...otherwise,,this machines runs and operates very strong

I am trying to find out what rear axle fluid to use so i can change it out ASAP..looks nasty but has no issues driving at all..wnt to get these things straight before i put it to work this week

Attachments

• casesteeringcolumn.jpg
    casesteeringcolumn.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 18
  • casesteeringcolumn1.jpg
    casesteeringcolumn1.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 15
  • casedash.jpg
    casedash.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 16

Ironworker709

I found this on a website somewhere..so i saved the picture, that's where i got the clue that the serial numbers might be where i looked and found a tag....if i can find the serial number on the rear axle..will that tell me exactly what gear oil to use in it?..probably going to have to find that anyhow..last night when it was cool out..i grabbed the flashlight and crawed under it looking at thing...the seal for the short driveshaft going into the rear is leaking,hope it's not too terrible of a job

Attachments

• 580e-serial-numbers.jpg
    580e-serial-numbers.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 12

Tinkerer

Last edited:

Ironworker709

Thanks brother!!..i been going through the 580D and 580E manuals and trying to identify..i am leaning towards being a 560D since mine has the 207D engine and from i can see so far..the E and SE's came with the 4-390's

Engine picture tells me it's a 580D.
Rest of the pictures show it painted as a 580E in Power Tan & not the original colour.

Leaning towards that too,the engine plate says it's a 207D...just confusing since the wore out sticker on the firewall are says it's a super E..someone must of changed it that piece out at some point

Ironworker709

I bought it from a local major tree service guy who only used it a few times for clearing property for his equipment storage,his brother is a deputy sheriff and his wife works at the sheriff's office....maybe they bought it at confiscated sale?....

Ironworker709

I am Back!
i been doing A LOT of research and tinkering around with it..by checking all the casting and serial numbers on parts and such..it is definitely a 580D
So far,i had a guy repack the left side stabilizer cylinder,found a local guy who moved here from Idaho a few years ago and has a big shop and very reputable..he did the cylinder for 140.00...he said someone did it before and used loctite in the bolt on the end of the shaft and had a hell of a time getting it off.....
Right after that on the same side one of the stabilizer hoses blew ,so i went to a NAPA not far from us who makes them,(i've used him for the high pressure lines on my Ford 7.3's)...i noticed 3 of the 4 stabilzer hoses were very rough,one had been replaced,so i bought 3 of them off him..115.00 out the door!..so replaced both on left side,and have a spare for the one on the right side that does not leak yet,but looks kinda rough.
He said he has store prices and shop rices,,as he is allowed,,he will give me the cheaper shop prices when i need new hoses,,the old guy is pretty cool

I have a leak coming out of the torque converter housing,when i first got it,it just dripped,,but it's getting worse..so i ordered the torque converter seal and the pump seal so while i have it out,i will just replace it too,waiting on the local case dealer to get the pump seal in from the Atlanta dealer.......
The guy who did my repack job,said to either clean or replace the transmission breather for good measure,because if it is clogged,it can cause pressure and cause leaks and even blow seals out...
I took the floor plate up and found it,,,but putting a wrench on it,,it just turns,and i shopped online for the breather,and looks to me in the pictures like it is just pressed in there?...
I looked through the Minnpar service manual i downloaded and shows how to dissemble and rebuild the transmission,but does not say anything about the breather removal?

I also have the common steering wheel leak,and ordering the repair kit,,looks pretty straight forward and easy

In the near future..i will have the guy rebuild the backhoe spools,they all need done and drool fluid,but for now i am using it and keeping an eye on the fluids until i get my private road redo finished and the ground done for my 25x30 shop to be poured

This thing runs and operates GREAT

Love this forum..lots of great advice and knowledge!

Ironworker709

Yes..7/16 wrench..hard as hell to turn and a tough spot to get to.........i was looking for a new one and the only pictures of them looks like no threads.not sure it these aftermarkets are a press in and the originals were threaded..the part number is D50062,and when looking on the case website,it does not show any pictures of theirs,i just wanted to take it out and clean it and see if is clogged for now.maybe slow the leak down a bit,i got the new seals yesterday but trying to get the area cleared and leveled for my shop floor in between all the Georgia rains,makes for a muddy mess...
Here is a picture of the ones i found online,looks like no threads....

Attachments

• breather.jpg
    breather.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 6