• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580N died mid job

Hitek79

I have a 2014 Case 580N that I was using to clear some trees yesterday, and as I was dragging them across the road with the backhoe, the engine bogged down(I hadn't turned the idle up), and the tractor died. After that, no luck getting it started again. I was on a slight slope, and earlier on the same slope the low fuel light had come on. I added 12 gallons of diesel to make sure that wasn't the issue. Tested battery voltage and it was good as well. I purchased the rig about 8 months ago, and has worked flawlessly so far. When I cycle the key on, no codes show up. Any insight? Thanks!

Welder Dave

Is it not turning over or not starting? If it did run out of fuel would have to bleed the air out for it to start. If it's not turning over I'd suspect a safety switch on the trans. or maybe the seat.

Welder Dave

If you've never had diesel equipment before the number one rule is don't run out of fuel. You can't just fill the tank up and expect it to start right up. You have to bleed the air out of the fuel system and some engines can be a real pain. Whatever you do don't try to start it using starting fluid. Starting fluid is only used very sparingly once you have air free fuel and presumably smoke from the exhaust.

Hitek79

Thanks guys. I'm pretty sure the air in the fuel lines is the issue. Unfortunately we're in for a few days of snow, so I won't be able to get back out to mess with it for a bit.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Looks like some great advice. Please report back and let us know if you got it started.

This will make you laugh and hopefully cheer you up.

My fuel truck drivers used to run out of fuel driving their fuel trucks. About once per quarter someone would. One time it happened on 5th avenue in front of the Anchorage Alaska FBI building. The ABC boys were not very happy. (FBI, ATF, APD,) with a 5000 gallon fuel truck sitting next to the front door. The driver did know how to prime the fuel system. He filled the saddle tank with 5 gallons of Power Service and bled the system. Got it back to the terminal. I drained the saddle tank, new fuel filters, fresh fuel. I coincidentally had exhaust after- treatment problems after that. Not sure if related to running 100% Powerservice. Anyways, he did get terminated for that stunt.

Get this, the saddle tank on the Freightlner vocational M2 chassis is on the driver side. So is the unleaded hose reel on my tankers. The inexperienced drivers would, all too often, fill the saddle tank with the unleaded reel because it's much easier to pull that hose. They would never admit it.

The DD15 and DD16 don't handle that very well. One guy did that inside the Airport Operations Area at Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport! Had to call Webbs towing to get it off the ramp. Webbs would not move the truck without pulling the driveline to move it 300 yards because it had a Allison. Spent 4th of July 2017 changing fuel filters, priming the fuel system and installing the driveline in a gravel parking lot. That guy didn't get terminated, but eventually did for failing a random wiz quiz. Lol!