• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580K Won't Move Forward or Reverse

trevor b

yes that is for puting front axel jn gear . one other thing it could be torque converter pump had it go on mine changed it out side my self .3 to 500.00 trevor b

RHINOS TRANNYS

There are 2 rubber hoses on the main suction tube between trans and torque converter, make sure the clamps are tight or that there is not a hole or crack that is sucking air. There is a cleanable screen whare the suction tube comes out of the tranny. You will have to drain the oil out to remove the screen.

Last edited:

workshoprat92

I know this is a really old post but has there ever been a solution to this problem found. one thing i find interesting in the very first post is he says drive shaft spins but nothing from rear end. wouldn't that mean transmission is working properly but something let loose in rear end? if drive shaft spins so must rear wheels.

bob_00

I know this is a really old post but has there ever been a solution to this problem found. one thing i find interesting in the very first post is he says drive shaft spins but nothing from rear end. wouldn't that mean transmission is working properly but something let loose in rear end? if drive shaft spins so must rear wheels.

not on the phase 3 machine they have a tork converter drive the driving shaft to the trans axel witch is a shuttle / transmition / diffrenciel all in one pice the pahase one machien had the shuttle ( witch controle foward revers ) mounted at the bell housing then a drive shaft to the trans axel that is just 4 speed transmition and a diffrencial in that case

apetad

Occupation
Compact Construction Equipment Sales
This is B.S. / Granted it's certainly OK for them to bill you for the things they checked and inspected, ---BUT---, How can they provide a $4500 estimate for repairs that involve "splitting the unit" This machine was intentionally built with individually serviceable driveline components which can each be serviced independently WITHOUT splitting the tractor.. You NEED a Case Backhoe mechanic very badly!
I received the following diagnosis from the agricultural equipment dealer that looked at my backhoe.
"10-31-2012 Checked relay and pressure switches, for the forward and reverse pressure. They are working properly. Drained off some of the hydraulic oil from the bottom of the transmission housing to inspect for metal. No metal found in the system that we could see. Removed the hydraulic valve from the transmission. Disassembled it to check the springs and the spools for any scoring, everything looked good. Installed the valve back onto the transmission. The transmission needs to be disassembled for further inspection. This would require spliting the unit. At this time with our schedule we do not have shop space for this kind of repair. Estimate of repairs are $4500.00 and up, not including transportation. Two facilities that may be interested in repair are : Mohican Valley Equipment at 419-368-7020 or Southeastern Equipment at 419-529-4848."

The estimated cost is over my pain threshold, I'm going to think about it, save up a little more money.

Campman

My 580 Super K had been running great as I was trying to finish my pond before autumn rains and winter snows made it impossible. As I was approaching a pile of dirt to get a bucket load, it just stopped. No forward, no reverse. No unusual noises. Engine running fine, hydraulics working fine. Checked fluid level on dipstick by rear bucket controls. Way low, I am unforgivably neglectful in my maintenance. Refilled, didn't help. Used my dump truck to pull it back up out of the pond bed. Doing preliminary troubleshooting today before paying $100/hour to the dealer. Used the stabilizers to lift the wheels off the ground, when engaging the shuttle forward/reverse lever, the engine sound changes slightly and the driveshaft from engine to rear end spins, but not the wheels. I can turn the wheels by hand with difficulty, each side independently of the other. Haven't been able to find the transmission cut out solenoid to disconnect as suggested in other postings. I am trying to get some idea whether I'm looking at a low cost repair, or a multi-thousand dollar repair. Can somebody tell me WHERE the cut out solenoid is located, or post a photo? Can anybody suggest additional checks to make.

I miss my backhoe.....

Thanks.
rsecrist, did you ever get your 580 going? I have the same issue, except mine has come and gone for a couple of years, and finally totally quit. Exact symptoms as you describe here.

roadmaster2010

Well I broke a hose on the front of my old 580B case and replaced it along with filter in front of the radiator but still no movement front or reverse. seems to be no hydraulic fluid to shuttle shift. is there a priming I need to do ?

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Well I broke a hose on the front of my old 580B case and replaced it along with filter in front of the radiator but still no movement front or reverse. seems to be no hydraulic fluid to shuttle shift. is there a priming I need to do ?
Stupid question did you refill torque tube with oil?

Taterhead3e

On our 91 mod 580k the solenoid wire grounds out from use or old age in certain gears,ours has the shifter on the armrest console on the right , I guess the wires cover is worn and only touches sometime or in certain positions,,if yours is neutral out try pushing the neutral out switch with it in gear and see if starts to work again while the switch is pushed in,,,if so you have your answer bad wire or the solenoid is going out