• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580K Won't Move Forward or Reverse

rsecrist

My 580 Super K had been running great as I was trying to finish my pond before autumn rains and winter snows made it impossible. As I was approaching a pile of dirt to get a bucket load, it just stopped. No forward, no reverse. No unusual noises. Engine running fine, hydraulics working fine. Checked fluid level on dipstick by rear bucket controls. Way low, I am unforgivably neglectful in my maintenance. Refilled, didn't help. Used my dump truck to pull it back up out of the pond bed. Doing preliminary troubleshooting today before paying $100/hour to the dealer. Used the stabilizers to lift the wheels off the ground, when engaging the shuttle forward/reverse lever, the engine sound changes slightly and the driveshaft from engine to rear end spins, but not the wheels. I can turn the wheels by hand with difficulty, each side independently of the other. Haven't been able to find the transmission cut out solenoid to disconnect as suggested in other postings. I am trying to get some idea whether I'm looking at a low cost repair, or a multi-thousand dollar repair. Can somebody tell me WHERE the cut out solenoid is located, or post a photo? Can anybody suggest additional checks to make.

I miss my backhoe.....

Thanks.

rsecrist

Disconnected solenoid, didn't make a difference. Checked the transmission fluid level with the transmission in neutral, engine running, it was still below the 'add' line. Filled it to within 1/4 inch of the full line with the engine running, transmission in neutral. Engine sound changed a little, maybe a little 'throatier', when engaging the shuttle lever, and the left wheel jerked just a little, but no rotation. Reconnected cut out solenoid, made no difference. It's looking bad. Could there be air trapped in the lines? Or any other simple thing to try?

rsecrist

No, don't I wish...
Here's an update.
Stopped at a Case dealer, talked to the service manager, he was very helpful. He looked in the service manual and showed me the location of two test ports to check the forward and reverse transmission fluid pressure. Checked that the linkage from the FWD/REV lever hadn't come loose, it hadn't. Removed the transmissioin cutout solenoid to see if it had gotten stuck in the cutout position. Could see the valve move when pressing the cutout button, so it is okay. Reinstalled to check in case it had been stuck and we had freed it up, but it didn't fix anything. I did discover that when I put the lever in reverse, the left wheel jerks a little, but if I hold the cutout button down when I put it in reverse, the left wheel doesn't move. What does that point to?
Also, I wish I could post a photo right here, the top of the valve assembly doesn't exactly match the exploded drawings I've been looking at. There are two pressure senders mounted on the top, but I can't find any meters to go with them. Could those be connected to something that might be causing a problem? And I need to identify which plug is the test port.
Wait, I went to the Case parts website and found that after SN JJG0167019, they started installing pressure switches/senders in place of the test port plugs. So I can remove the senders to measure the pressure.

Last edited:

rsecrist

Hooked up a 300psi pressure gauge in place of the front pressure switch, ended up being the reverse port. Pressure rises smoothly to 150psi, then jumps up to 175psi. Service manager said the pressure should run between 175psi and 230psi. Looks like I'll be calling the local dealer to provide their onsite diagnosis at $2.95/mi. and $100/hr. Broken shaft, maybe? Friend of mine predicts $5k to $8K repair bill. Ouch.

oceanobob

Occupation
general contractor
If you have a stage 1, you can pull the shuttle then rebuild it, or swap it out with a rebuilt model.

Not sure what one does if it is stage 3, sorry.

rsecrist

Thanks, mine is a phase 3. I've reached the point at which there is little more I can check or do, so I will have to call the Case dealer this week and at least have them diagnose it onsite, get a quote.

rsecrist

What is the one part in the transaxle that can break and eliminate both forward and reverse movement, but doesn't reduce the transmission fluid pressure below rated pressure, doesn't make noise when it breaks, isn't affected by the differential lock pedal, and isn't caused by the transmission cutout solenoid?

trevor b

rsecrist- when i first got my hoe i had the same sort of problem .i just brought the old pig home &wanted to see how she pushed.i moved 1 pile and all of a sudden it stopped moveing . to make a long story longer it was the power shuttle valve body. a pice of crap came through the system holding a valve open .pg #6-22 (#19 to 24) i cleaned it all out orderd new oring's seals spriings put it back togeather and away she went cost $100.00 trevor b

trevor b

rsecrist- when i first got my hoe i had the same sort of problem .i just brought the old pig home &wanted to see how she pushed.i moved 1 pile and all of a sudden it stopped moveing . to make a long story longer it was the power shuttle valve body. a pice of crap came through the system holding a valve open .pg #6-22 (#19 to 24) i cleaned it all out orderd new oring's seals spriings put it back togeather and away she went cost $100.00 trevor b

rsecrist

Reply to sheepfoot: Don't really know, but the serial number is JJG0167591 if that helps narrow it down.
Response to trevor b: Thanks for those hopeful suggestions, I talked to a tech at North Central Ag in Ashland, OH, and he has seen the problem caused by a bad relay, or a stuck spool valve (transmission cutout valve). He's going to look at it Wed. afternoon or Thursday. Then maybe I'll finally know.
Thanks, all, for your inputs.

rsecrist

I received the following diagnosis from the agricultural equipment dealer that looked at my backhoe.
"10-31-2012 Checked relay and pressure switches, for the forward and reverse pressure. They are working properly. Drained off some of the hydraulic oil from the bottom of the transmission housing to inspect for metal. No metal found in the system that we could see. Removed the hydraulic valve from the transmission. Disassembled it to check the springs and the spools for any scoring, everything looked good. Installed the valve back onto the transmission. The transmission needs to be disassembled for further inspection. This would require spliting the unit. At this time with our schedule we do not have shop space for this kind of repair. Estimate of repairs are $4500.00 and up, not including transportation. Two facilities that may be interested in repair are : Mohican Valley Equipment at 419-368-7020 or Southeastern Equipment at 419-529-4848."

The estimated cost is over my pain threshold, I'm going to think about it, save up a little more money.

Rocketsled

Transmission fluid should be checked with engine off, after it has sat a little while.

Wow, are the K's that much different then the E's? According to the manual for Super E's the shuttle transmission fluid is to be checked : AT OPERATING TEMPERATURE , WHILE RUNNING at IDLE IN 4TH GEAR and Shuttle in Neutral Position(Obviously). And my dipstick is in the engine bay, no where near my "Rear Bucket Controls." Are you positive you've checked your fluid correctly and put in the right stuff? Also, you stated that you saw the driveshaft moving but not the wheels. Again, are you positive you had the transaxel in gear at that time, not just the shuttle in forward? Did you try all the gears, forward and reverse? I wouldn't assume the dealer did these checks.

sheepfoot

The first K's had a shuttle like the c, d, e. The phase 3 transaxle was adopted 07/31/89 and started with the s/n jjg002000 but it's a good chance case had some out there before then testing. The phase 3 transaxle is not the same, it is a complete unit that has a control valve on top of the trans that directs oil to the F/R clutch packs inside the trans.

rsecrist

My serial number is jjg0167591. By then, they had started replacing the F/R pressure test ports with elbows and pressure switches, one of which I removed and measured 175psi. I tried several gears, and I had previously put Traveller hydraulic/transmission fluid in where the dipstick goes when it had gotten too low and started slipping. Wish I could find my user's and service manual. Does the driveshaft have a bolt or pin that could shear? Or any gears have pins or keys that could shear? I still find it odd that I had no hint that something was going bad, and no major noise like I would expect if some gear or shaft broke, but, then, what do I know?

rsecrist

The service manual shows a transfer gearbox with a linkage to engage two gears. It says the transmission doesn't have to be removed to work on it. A new thing to check.
TransferGearbox01.JPGTransferGearbox02.JPG

mitch504

It's been a little while, but I'm pretty sure that only shifts your front driveshaft in and out of gear.