• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580K Power shuttle (Borg Warner)

Ando

Occupation
Proprietor - 5 Star Contract Services
I have the Borg Warner power shuttle out of the 580k, on the bench, ready to be reassembled.
I've got a kit for it, which includes gaskets, seals, springs and rings.

I bought the machine as a basket case (see other thread) and have only driven the machine short distances. The front seal on the converter charge pump was leaking badly.
In forward, the machine would have to be revved a fair bit to get it to move. Reverse seemed to work fine, with power just above idle.
The forward clutch plates all look Ok, although I was wondering if there is a minimum thickness spec for them????:beatsme

Apart from the front seal in the charge pump, all components look fine.

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Ando - Case don't give a spec for individual plates - only a clutch pack clearance which is attained by fitting different thickness snap ring into pack when assembled - .011" - .046" from memory, I usually set at around .025".
Your problem could be oil flow...... is there any grooving around the control valve bore in the main housing?
This is often a problem & requires machine shop repair.
Is there any scoring at the pump gears or wear at carrier shaft?
I usually replace the fwd pack regardless of condition.

Ando

Occupation
Thanks alrman, I think I'll reassemble the clutch pack and check the clearance.
The control valve and bore look OK. The bore has been resleeved at some stage. Carrier shaft looks fine.
The pump does have some scoring around the perimeter of the large pump gear and the inside of the housing. The bushing in the charge pump housing also has some wear.

cheers

Ando

Occupation
Reading back through my 580k basket case thread. Another member, IH3500 mentioned that the bushings in the charge pump should be pretty tight to prevent leaks at the seal. The charge pump was leaking even though there was a new seal in place.
It looks like the previous owner had a go at repairing it (new seal, anti-sieze on the bolts)

A new charge pump may be in order????
I've got a price of $361 + gst on an exchange one.

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Exchange pump? - curious ..... where from?
The spout on the convertor is often a problem - any wear marks or grooves there?
They don't need much wear to cause leaks.
Also, check flex plate for cracks etc & when you fit it - they can be a little offset, causing leakage. Try to centralize the spigot as best you can using a vernier & I usually test 'problem' leakers with a dial gauge on the spout after fitting to flywheel.

Ando

Occupation
alrman, I checked with the supplier (Griffith Traders) and the price was for a new pump. I haven't actually had the torque converter off at this stage. I'll have another look when I can but can't recall any damage on the TC spigot apart from a little wear on the driving surfaces (where it engages into the pump)
I'll let you know when I check the plate etc.

Ando

Occupation
My new forward clutch plates and charge pump just arrived via airbag. I figure I may as well replace the plates while the shuttle is apart.
The bushings in the old charge pump are too far gone, in my opinion. I will (oneday:rolleyes:) recon the old pump for a spare.
The old pump was leaking oil from the seal even though it was new (replaced by previous owner) I figure the oil bypassing the front bush was too much for the seal.

The TC spigot has a wear mark around it but not enough to cause a problem. I will put the dial gauge on the spigot and turn the engine over to check alignment before the shuttle goes back in.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated:thumbsup