• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

case 580K need help changing hydraulic oil filter

how to get hydraulic filter out?

• how to

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • how to

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Sometimes they can be very tight to loosen.
I usually remove the hydraulic filter, while the fuel filters have been removed. This will give you a little more room to work.
The heavy vinyl heat shield is usually in the way, which is very annoying.
If the hyd filter is still too tight to remove, you may need to remove the entire engine air filter with the frame holding the bonnet release & heat shield to give you more accessibility.

Ed1

Hey guys, getting ready to change all filters on my 580k for the first time. Is there a shut off for the hydraulics to change the filter or does it need to be drained?

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
There is no shut off. When you remove the filter there is only residual oil in the lines to contend with.
They do make a slight mess, a cup full of oil seems like gallon when it's leaking.
Just make sure you release any air pressure in the tank by removing the filler cap, that helps reduce oil loss.

Ed1

Thanks so much! There definitely is a learning curve when you go from operating only to wrenching on these guys!

greggvb

Welcome to HEF webb rentals !
We need more details as to why you can not get the filter off.
There is also a suction screen in the system.View attachment 195152 View attachment 195153
hi Tinkerer, thanks for the photos...my service manual for a 1992 580sk shows the first location, but my unit must have in in the relocated position. It was so confusing! Could you share where you got the updated location information? I'd like to do some searching but can't find anything with that detail