• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580k, main back hoe boom

ivanho

Can't get main boom to pull itself up into the lock and travel position. pulls back, lifts lock but not enough, the hydraulics seem to strain when pulling main boom lever back when close to lock mechanism . IS there a way to use extend hoe to push main boom back, and if I do get it into lock and travel position can I get it back out.. for use..

Thanks Again Gentlemen

fpgm04

Case backhoes have over-center booms for transport to provide better weight distribution and better agility. On these machines the hydraulics will not pull the boom into the lock position by themselves. The operator has to essentially swing the boom overcenter.

You find instructions in the operators manual, but basically to put the backhoe in transport you simply need to :
-put the hand throttle to 1000 rpm or more (personal preference, but I usually do this at 1500-1800)
- retract the dipper and curl in the bucket
- pull the boom control lever rear-ward
At the “instant” the boom reaches vertical position, rapidly push the boom control lever forward and the boom will continue to move toward the front of the machine until the boom stop is reached and the boom latches.

With a little practice you can make the movement over center very smooth and it will literally only take a second or two.

To unlatch the backhoe, simply press the boom latch lever with your foot and move the boom control lever rearward and the boom will move out of the over-center position.

I would never recommend using the ehoe to lock the backhoe into transport as you certainly could damage the boom casting and other components.

Last edited:

mitch504

That was a good explanation.

One thing that helps the locking process, particularly while learning, is to raise the rear up higher than the front, with the stabilizers.

When unlocking, you actually push the boom lever away from you to take the pressure off the latch, then push down with your foot, then pull the lever toward you.

With practice, it can be done smoothly and nearly silently, but at the start you will think you are destroying it, but you are not.

Willys

All good information. I had a 580 Se & 590 SL the technique changes depending on how the machine is sitting. By this I mean, if the front of the tractor is down hill it reacts much faster than it it were up hill. It hard to get used to. The engine speed changes things as well.