• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580K hydraulic cooler and supply lines, help needed

DualsportWA

My machine: 1987 Case 580K Phase I (shifter goes through floor)

So I have a leak coming from one of the fat hoses that goes to one of the coolers ahead of the radiator- it's clean hydraulic fluid that's leaking. I'm trying to understand the hydraulic circuits and supply/return line "system". Some questions:

1. There are three cooling units in the radiator area, from front (loader side) to back (engine side) they are: cooler 1 (very fat hoses, one on each side), cooler 2: smaller lines, cooler 3: engine radiator. Can someone help explain what each of the two forward-most cooler elements are for?

2. Mystery: I have a fat hose that goes from the hydraulic filter housing to the front-most cooler element - that's the one that's leaking clean hydraulic fluid - has rubbed through (from rubbing against a steel tube next to it). I do not see this fat rubber hose on the diagrams for the hydraulic filter/cooler - can't figure out which part this is- any help would be appreciated! On the diagram (below) it shows this as a return to tank line, on my machine, this output from the filter head goes to the front-most cooling element...

Help! :)

case-580k-mystery.png

Theweldor

Occupation
The Village Idiot
Could be possible someone pulled a hose in when the steel tube leaked during its lifetime.

DualsportWA

I had that thought too- what's really a mystery is that it doesn't go back to the tank, but goes to the front-most cooler. Same basic filter housing, same output port - different hose and destination...

DualsportWA

Here's a pic of the hydraulic line going to the front-most cooler element (fitting is over 1" on the OD).

Behind the fitting, you can see the 2nd cooler element (middle) - still wondering what each element is for!

IMG_4892.jpg

Theweldor

Occupation
The Village Idiot
It has been years since I have worked on a K series machine. So I am of no help unfortunately. I do know that they cherish those steel lines immensely when you go to buy them, reason for the hose. There are a couple of people on here still knowledgeable on these machines. They will be along shortly I am sure.

DualsportWA

Thanks- I just can't figure out why I have fat hoses going to a cooler that looks nothing like the parts I see listed online for a hydraulic oil cooler! :)