• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580k fuel issue

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
That’s kinda the lines I was going thru.. WHAT P# sol. did u get from BT.? They say 12 or 24 on them.
It’s also easy to tighten up the 1st nut to much & pull it out of the sol.
AND when u go to change it, it releases & makes contact/ works again..

Steve111

It's the J904630 shut off solenoid that I got from them. Exact same as the old one in there. Going to check voltage and everything tomorrow morning to that wire.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Sorry I thought it was a Stanadyne sol. w the 2 posts, held in w nuts & washers..
BE SURE to check the voltage WHILE CRANKING TOO..
I’ve seen them have voltage w the key ON & drop it while cranking.

Steve111

So I tested voltage to the solenoid has 12volts. Took of new one and bench tested it and of course the new one doesn't work. Bench tested the old one and it works fine. Put old one back in and it started right up. Go figure.

Steve111

And yes the new solenoid is exactly the same and says 12v on it. Tested both the exact same way. Figure brand new parts would actually work correctly.

Steve111

But now it goes back to my original problem of me having to release the fuel pressure in the first bleeder valve again when I turn it off in order to start it. Ruled out the shutoff solenoid now. The second I open the bleeder and let the pressure out it starts right up but if I don't it has to sit for an hour until it will start up

mitch504

Well, ALRman is one of the most experienced Case guys on here, and you thought enough of his experience to spend $45 and change it. Now you are getting another one for free, I'd sure install it before I declared it not to be it.

Steve111

I honestly think that is what it is the return lines. When it doesn't start and I crack the line open there is alot of pressure then it stops and then it will start right up. I wonder if it is going to be an injector pump issue or a clogged line.

jimg984

COULD BE LINE IS CLOGGED/ LINE PINCHED OR THE BANJO FITTING THAT CONNECTS LINE TO FUEL SYSTEM GOOD LUCK TRY WITH LINE LOOSE AT WHERE IT CONNECT TO FUEL SYSTEM NOT THE FUEL TANK,,,,,, BE CAREFUL WHEN TAKING THE BANJO FITTING OFF,, PROBABLY HAVE BALL AND SPRING IN IT

Last edited:

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Pull the return connection off the pump.. if it’s a Bosch VE then the banjo bolt is a restricted fitting..
blow it out w compressed air..
It’s possible that the return line goes back into the filter..
If it’s a Delphi DPA.. the connector that screws into the front flange of the pump has a check ball in it..
Lots of problems with them..
They stick & pressurize the pump housing & usually blow out the front seals..