• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580k brakes

Johnnymc

Hi all again. This seems like an easy question but I've searched the internet and threads on here and haven't found the answer. My brakes quit working on my case 580k phase 3. Are they run by the fluid in the transaxle or is there a separate reservoir I should look for ? I had a soft pedal a couple of times that went away on its own then they just stopped working altogether. Thank you in advance

Preppypyro

My 1995 sk phase 3 has a fluid reservoir under the hood, near where you fill up with fuel. Should be able to spot it pretty easily if you open the hood.

It takes hytrans as well, not brake fluid.

Johnnymc

Jeez ya I went out after I made the post and found it. Felt kinda stupid. I hear alot about wet brakes and I just assumed there wasn't the normal master cylinder. Now I have a good left pedal but the right I have to pump 4 or 5 times so I gotta find the bleeder. Hopefully that's it and I don't have a leak

Johnnymc

Yea lol I found it. Duh feel kinda stupid. I thought it was something in the transaxle. Thank you!

gggraham

Occupation
Licensed Heavy Duty Equipment Mechanic
Watch your brake fluid level, if it drops down again and there is no visible external leak, you could have leaking piston seals which was not unheard of on these machines.