• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580K Boom Latch Problem

WScott

Push the boom lever away from you and the boom will come closer.
At this time hit the foot lever ( or whatever lever your model has to pull up the latch) then pull the boom lever and your boom will go away from you and the lock.

After your boom crosses the highest neutral postion( the point were when you raise the boom as far up as it will go under normal use) then you do the opposite with the stick to control the boom. Up is down and down is up.

As stated earlier in this thread to lock the boom takes some momentium. Have the boom down about 1/2 way with a medium throttle and pull up on it and when it reaches the highest point then push the lever and it will come up even more and lock.

Hope this helps

JS580SL

Occupation
operator
Once you do it a couple of times you can do it moving forward and looking forward, do it with your eyes closed, and lock it without making a sound.:D

wayne186

I have had my 680k for about 4 years now (I love it and it is my big baby) :)

I just use it to potter around the farm doing digging jobs.. I watched the guy who I bought it from lock it in and I knew there was a technique to it ut one I never managed to grasp... so now I am off to fix my broken cable too :) and try this locking the boom in thing... fortunatley it never travels any distance so I always used to just rest the boom down when I was done.. thanks for the video - I think I will get it now.

farmallnut

Great topic!
580K Latch boom and use loader for a bit. Look back and the boom is unlatched. It seems the latch notch is worn a bit and pressure causes the latch to pop up unlatching. The only way to remedy that I see is to grind the latch to remove the wear and get things back square. Any thoughts on this?

JBrady

My backhoe is an L series, but I think the Ks were similar. If you choose to grind on it, just know that the hoe itself is a cast piece that doesn't play well with welding rods. I'm not sure what part you intend to grind on, but if it is just the latch, i wouldn't think they are that expensive replacing it might be a better option. When I have to drive somewhere very far on my backhoe, I reach back and bump the boom lever out a little so it puts a little force on the latch and keeps everything from bouncy around so much.

Bootheal

Having the outriggers and loader down when latching (or unlatching) definitely helps with bouncing around.

Being level or slightly nose down will help with having a smooth latch.

Having the stick up / out some will help with over center momentum.

Is possible to use an outrigger to ‘lift’ the hoe over center but here you have to remember (as it’s ready to go over center) the boom cylinder action becomes - down is up and up is down - or the two cylinders will be fighting each other.

It is a fun challenge to see how quietly it can be latched.

The comment from JBrady on allowing the boom to lay back slightly into the latch, does cut down on bouncing and jiggling noise. That took a few trips to figure out.

Most importantly, enjoy the machine. You will get better with each run….unless the outings are six months apart! Then it will almost be a ‘start from scratch’.

farmallnut

My backhoe is an L series, but I think the Ks were similar. If you choose to grind on it, just know that the hoe itself is a cast piece that doesn't play well with welding rods. I'm not sure what part you intend to grind on, but if it is just the latch, i wouldn't think they are that expensive replacing it might be a better option. When I have to drive somewhere very far on my backhoe, I reach back and bump the boom lever out a little so it puts a little force on the latch and keeps everything from bouncy around so much.
Not welding on anything. The contact areas where the latch mates is worn heavily. I’m considering grinding only enough to “flatten” the contact areas. No weld needed.