• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

case 580G alternator

Paul murphy

Hi,
I wondered if anyone had any details on which alternator should be on the case construction king 580G please?
Taken the one off ours and there are no numbers whatsoever on it apart from stamped in the casing 8 97 and on the other side 54202228.
I read somewhere a couple of months ago it was a 70 amp? but not sure if that's correct.

There are no markings on the terminal so the only test I have carried out is spinning it with a drill and checking to see if any combination of the terminals show any volts. I seem to be getting .2 at most.

Attachments

• IMG_4969.jpg
    IMG_4969.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 14

Delmer

I'm afraid I can't help at all with that. Looks like british style mounts and british style wiring, but not the standard Lucas connection, so I'd be guessing.

The way I'd test it, is by leaving it on the machine, and checking the volts running. You should have battery positive voltage on the big terminal, and at least one of the other terminals. If the voltage isn't close to 14V then apply battery voltage to the other connections and see if the voltage will go up to 14. that won't fix anything, just give you a place to start looking for what's wrong.

edit: looks like the two big spade are battery + and the little spade in the group of three is the ignition voltage supply, so hook all three together and hook to the battery + and see what you get for voltage running. The other spade terminal by itself may be for a tachometer.

Last edited:

Oerthedge21

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
You try taking it to napa or an industrial/construction parts place? They may be able to help if their employees are halfway competent