• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580E Parts Questions

Oerthedge21

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
After months of searching I finally picked up a machine, a mid 80s 580E for 7200$. Couldn't find any other 580s under 10k, and most were in less than great shape. Mine obviously needs some work it's far from perfect, but mechanically it's sound and the pins are fairly tight so I considered it a good deal compared to the ludicrous prices I found for any other machines near me. So far I'm figuring most of it out as I go. Two things I've found so far though, does anyone know where to get the seals that hold the glass in? Namely for the rear quarter window in the fender and the tracks for the rear main windows? Also may need a new disc for the park brake, mine has the outboard brakes with the parking brake that mounts on the front of the transaxle. The splines on the disc are totally gone, though the teeth on the countershaft may be too far gone to mount a new disc anyway. But I looked around and all I could find are the brake pads, no disc for the outboard style park break. I'll try to slap some pics of the thing up today if it's not pouring or dark when I get home. As for the rest of it it's just the usual old equipment stuff, oil leaks here and there, worn tires, worn breaks, the floor has the usual rot etc etc. But I won't complain since it has an enclosed cab and starts up in the cold, unlike my old CK that would take a shot of ether to start at anything below 90°F

Oerthedge21

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Ah so it's just a generic seal then, I wasn't sure if it was something special or not. Any clues on the rear window track? Or of any wrecking yards that ship parts? Up here in CT there's not really any big construction/agricultural salvage places so used parts are hard to come by

Oerthedge21

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Anybody have a pic of the cab door striker? Mines gone so the door won't latch, I'm gonna try and see if the auto parts store sells one that'll work or that I can make to work, if not I'll make my own since I can't find it, just wandering what the diameter the pin is and how long it sticks off the cab frame

Oerthedge21

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Here's another weird one. Anyone have a pic and a few rough dimensions of the throttle pedal? The floors in my machine are more or less gone, and I guess the pedal went with it. I have the material and a press brake and to make my own, I just don't know what it actually looked like or how it attached to the throttle shaft.
Here's what I'm starting with, I already made the plate that sits under the brake pedals, next up is the main floor plate and the buttons of the fenders, then I'll make the mount for the pedal and the bracket that holds the left side of the throttle shaft.

Attachments

• PXL_20210224_220104861.jpg
    PXL_20210224_220104861.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 24

TJAlbert

Here's another weird one. Anyone have a pic and a few rough dimensions of the throttle pedal? The floors in my machine are more or less gone, and I guess the pedal went with it. I have the material and a press brake and to make my own, I just don't know what it actually looked like or how it attached to the throttle shaft.
Here's what I'm starting with, I already made the plate that sits under the brake pedals, next up is the main floor plate and the buttons of the fenders, then I'll make the mount for the pedal and the bracket that holds the left side of the throttle shaft.

20210226_174041.jpg 20210226_174047.jpg 20210226_174124.jpg 20210226_174144.jpg
I just went outside and snapped some pics of the floor and throttle pedal in mine. Hope this helps. Dimensions are roughly 10" x 5" but you can see in the pics how it narrows towards the top to about 4" and is closer to 6" at the bottom. Sorry for the poor quality, I was losing light in a hurry and it was pretty gray outside. Holler if I can be of any help. The machine I have is in pretty good shape.

Oerthedge21

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Thanks TJ that's perfect, exactly what I needed. May need your help again once I get further along. Dave, if you find their number definitely let me know, still gonna need some other parts for this machine once I get the floor finished. Always appreciate the help, I'll keep updating as I go,hope to finish up the front floor plate tomorrow while it rains and then I'll get started on the main floor pan

DaveA

this equipment salvage yard is cutting A 580E up. they might even have floor pans. I got the frount waight off of it in January
Erickson Trucks -n- Parts
75196 Petersburg Rd, Jackson, MN 56143
(866) 800-8000

Larryv

Anybody have a pic of the cab door striker? Mines gone so the door won't latch, I'm gonna try and see if the auto parts store sells one that'll work or that I can make to work, if not I'll make my own since I can't find it, just wandering what the diameter the pin is and how long it sticks off the cab frame
5/8 x 120210227_163017.jpg

Oerthedge21

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
You guys are just as helpful as ever. Got a lot done today after the rain stopped, finished the front floor panel, git the shuttle oil changed out, greased the front half of the machine, got the parking brake setup removed, got the rear windows ordered, and got halfway through making a door striker, among a lost of other small stuff. Hopefully tomorrow I can get that finished up and maybe get the new floor plate mounted in the battery box so I can put the battery back in, old floor rotted out, battery was more or less hanging by the cables haha

Oerthedge21

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
I'm assuming on the pedal side of the throttle shaft there's supposed to be a continuation of the ramp and a slot in the middle for this plastic bushing correct? Mine seems to have taken it's leave long ago. Not sure how I'm gonna rig this one up but I'll find a way, I've had some very creative ideas to fix things before, should be an interesting time. Not he bright side, none of the structural parts of the cab are rotted, it was just the floor and the bottoms of the fenders. Here's a few pics for y'all PXL_20210228_154006953.jpg PXL_20210228_154006953.jpg PXL_20210228_154003429.jpg PXL_20210228_153134430.jpg PXL_20210228_153116086.jpg

Oerthedge21

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Made my own striker out of the shank of a large bolt I found, drilled and tapped one side and mounted it up, works great. Now to just figure out how the door latch system was supposed to work as mines missing some pieces

Attachments

• PXL_20210301_142134287.jpg
    PXL_20210301_142134287.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 12
  • PXL_20210228_213822167.jpg
    PXL_20210228_213822167.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 12

Oerthedge21

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Does anyone know how the door latch is supposed to be set? My shop manual doesn't show a breakdown as far as I've seen, and I can't find it online either