• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580E backhoe major transmission leak

rockbust

Hi all . Today I was doing some Earth moving and was back grading some dirt . I was going up a slight incline and it seemed it was straining the backhoe a little . all of a sudden transmission fluid came shooting out of the right side of the engine compartment everywhere. I don't even know where it came from everything was soaked with fluid I shut it down a little while later started it up and of course the backhoe won't move. Does anybody have any idea where all the fluid shut out from and what would have caused this. I am going to try to refill it tomorrow and see what happens?

Delmer

You might try compressed air in the hydraulic tank to see if it will sputter where the leak is. I'd hate to waste more oil just to find the leak.

jimr

Rockbust, there should be two hoses that connect to hard lines that run inside the right frame rail and go to the oil cooler at the front. I would start looking at the hoses first. Good luck.

rockbust

Ok I refilled the transmission and there are no leaks. I have gently used it for 2 days now and no leaks. When I was working it I did have it in 3rd gear and was back grading uphill some dry clay soil. I have no idea what happened?? or where it came out of? Breather? fill line??

rockbust

It took a lot. I don't know exact amount. Maybe around 6 - 16oz's from my recycled coffee cup :) . I was careful not to overfill. Thank you.

Hobbytime

thats not a leak thats a drip..you got a leak when your talking gallons to refill..if im seeing that your saying it only took a single 16 ounce cup of oil to top off the fluid..I doubt it was shooting out all over..but check for loose fittings, it sounds like a pinhole if anything that may have shot a small thin stream out and now a piece of rust or debris got clogged in the pinhole..again with that small amount of oil needed to refill..

Hobbytime

thats still not alot, I blew the front hydraulic hose off the pump on my ford 555,,you wana talk about a gush of fluid..that ended up a complete change of oil..it was close to being due, but I rather not of had all that oil go into the ground..lol...I would still keep an eye open for a small pinhole leak.. take a clean rag and some solvent, and clean any lines you can see and look for any small seepage coming out of them, both steel and rubber..you would be amazed how much fluid can come out a pin hole under the psi that is running, also be careful with a small stream of hydro oil coming at you, it could pierce your skin or worse, WEAR GOGGLES to protect your eyes..