• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580d engine question

Crewchief1

After rebuilding the engine, I had a slight water leak under the water pump. I removed the water pump and the gasket was soaked with coolant. Can anybody tell me why the body assembly - water pump has a hole drilled through it . I am going
to change the pump but don't understand the passage through the body. Thanks

Crewchief1

Yes the water pump has a weep hole . The hole I am referring to is in the body assembly that the water pump bolts to. The body assembly mounts to the head an has both radiator hoses connected to it.
I would think the area is full of coolant, why the hole? The shaft seal would leak out of the pump
weep hole (outside of the body assembly). The hole in the body is right below the impeller.

Crewchief1

This is the body assembly with the
at 8 o’clock

Attachments

• CE5CF307-5FCC-4967-A153-EA8E3CF04CC4.jpeg
    CE5CF307-5FCC-4967-A153-EA8E3CF04CC4.jpeg
    810.2 KB · Views: 32

Crewchief1

The parts manual shows the hole , the maintenance manual shows the same hole. All the ones I saw
one line p/n A152802 all have the same hole. On my housing the hole is slightly eroded. Don't get it!
Thanks for your replies

S.A.E.

Yes the water pump has a weep hole . The hole I am referring to is in the body assembly that the water pump bolts to. The body assembly mounts to the head an has both radiator hoses connected to it.
I would think the area is full of coolant, why the hole? The shaft seal would leak out of the pump
weep hole (outside of the body assembly). The hole in the body is right below the impeller.
. Isn't that hole covered bythe gasket when assembled? I cant speculate it's need during the casting process, but if the gasket covers it, no big deal? but interesting. Haven't had mine apart.

S.A.E.

After rebuilding the engine, I had a slight water leak under the water pump. I removed the water pump and the gasket was soaked with coolant. Can anybody tell me why the body assembly - water pump has a hole drilled through it . I am going
to change the pump but don't understand the passage through the body. Thanks
you did or didn't change the water pump during your rebuild?

Crewchief1

I just changed the water pump. I guess the coolant was leaking out the weep hole on the
Pump, the fan air blasted it everywhere. I could see a water mark when the pump was removed.
The hole in the housing assembly is drilled through both chambers for whatever reason.
Thanks for all the posts.