• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580D Boom Cylinder Rebuild or Replace?

JRP3

Took the boom cylinder apart to repack it and found the rod was bent and the piston was scored, I'm assuming the cylinder wall is scored the same amount. I'm thinking with the amount of scoring on the piston that honing the cylinder enough to smooth it out might cause fluid bypass. I'm attaching a pic of the piston, do the grooves look too deep to hone the cylinder smooth? Does anyone know if these aftermarket cylinders are any good? They are a lot cheaper than the OEM's I've seen.
Ebay Link

Piston.jpg

JRP3

Not sure how the rod bent. It's an old machine in pretty good shape overall and I've had it for 20 years or so but only occasional use. Pins don't seem sloppy enough to allow a bend in normal use. Maybe it was swung sideways against a tree or something when fully extended?

berky

That's a lot of damage! I think all you have is a big paperweight now. Replacement will be high dollar, I'd look for a used rebuildable unit.

edgephoto

A hydraulic shop can repair that. I would prefer that to some Chinese knock off. Call around as you will get a wide range of prices.

I had one done on my Cat 426 and it cost me $1100 but the cheapest replacement I could find was $1500 and cat was close to $2000. If hydraulic shops are anything like auto shops they know the cost of new and price accordingly.

Maybe take it and ask if they can repair it for the price of that new one or a little less. Can't hurt.

berky

Replacement is either China but I think most likely India. I would still call tractor salvage yards and try to find OEM unit that could be fitted with a rebuild kit. Be sure to ask them if they will guarantee what you get is re-buildable. Use to have an old Ford 4500 from 1966 and I found an excellent replacement backhoe bucket cylinder that way. You will still have about the same cost in the end as that replacement, but you don’t have to worry about the quality. If you go the replacement unit also be aware that if it fails a reseal kit will be hard to find if at all.

Delmer

That cylinder will be a LOT easier to find used than a bucket cylinder, the bucket cylinder gets the worst abuse and there's only one of them. Plenty of those backhoes in salvage yards and most have two good boom cylinders. I'd do that before an import aftermarket. Or fix yours, but a rod, piston, and cylinder is probably going to be cheaper to find a used one. If you were going to jerry rig it yourself you probably wouldn't be asking, right?

JRP3

If you go the replacement unit also be aware that if it fails a reseal kit will be hard to find if at all.
Good point, I assumed it would use the same Case dimensions but I suppose it could be metric.

Welder Dave

Curious what would cause that much damage, badly worn wiper seal letting dirt in or contaminated oil?

franklin2

I know cylinder shops can get/make new cylinder rods. Can they get/cut new cylinders? If they can, they could make a new one, and a little file work you could re-use the piston. The piston doesn't look worn enough that it would let new seals and bushings not stay in place.

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
The thing about cylinder shops is that they can make pretty much anything you need but the seals won't be OEM kits. Call Schaefer Enterprises at (800) 626-6046 and ask for Carl. They will probably have one they can ship to you. You may have to put a kit in it but at least it will be OEM.

JRP3

Thanks, I'm checking with local repair places first to see if there is something nearby that I can inspect before buying.

JRP3

Or fix yours, but a rod, piston, and cylinder is probably going to be cheaper to find a used one. If you were going to jerry rig it yourself you probably wouldn't be asking, right?
I've thought about it. A machinist friend has a large hydraulic press and has experience straightening rods so I could probably get that straight, then knock down the worst of the scoring on the piston and cylinder bore and have a workable cylinder for many years considering how long this one has been working in this condition. But that's a lot of work for a less than ideal end product so I'm not going to bother.

Delmer

Machinery trader parts search with the part number, or look for heavy equipment salvage yards, there aren't that many of them around so you won't be calling dozens of places.

JRP3

I was curious how straight I could get the rod so I put it on my buddy's press this morning and we got it to within 5 thousands on the dial indicator. It had over a 1/4 inch bend overall to start.

JRP3

After much searching I went with the aftermarket cylinder. Used ones with no guarantee they were rebuildable were going for over $600, used and rebuilt with 90 day warranty were over $1k. The aftermarket was $825 delivered, 1 year warranty, and it takes the standard Case seal and packing set. Bottom end is machined instead of cast like the original, everything lined up. I'll paint it to match when it warms up again next year.

New Cylinder.jpg