• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580ck

Festeraxp

Occupation
I walk the toughest blocks in State
Yup I figured some of them out but thanks for the reply. Now to get the tachometer out of the block. You mean a manual like this?

Attachments

• 3088B360-53D0-474C-B88C-00108845A988.jpeg
    3088B360-53D0-474C-B88C-00108845A988.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
  • 415BE89C-99FA-4469-A0BA-9D214E1E5C5C.jpeg
    415BE89C-99FA-4469-A0BA-9D214E1E5C5C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10

Tinkerer

Yup I figured some of them out but thanks for the reply. Now to get the tachometer out of the block. You mean a manual like this?
No, not the manual in the photo. That clearly says it is a series B manual.
You need to make a puller to get that tach drive out of the block. Does the core of it rotate when the engine is running ?
It is not worth the trouble to remove it if you don't replace it with a new or used one.
They are VERY pricey to buy new.

Festeraxp

Occupation
So I have the wrong manual. F me. I believe the end spins in the engine. It was broken and looked like it was a threaded cable on the inside.

Festeraxp

Occupation
Okay I just ordered the gauges and
Case 580 CK Tractor Loader Backhoe Service Repair Overhaul Manual The tachometer cable is 48” long. I’ll include a pic.

Attachments

• B511B780-5EBF-4CA1-B308-A732404AD4A0.jpeg
    B511B780-5EBF-4CA1-B308-A732404AD4A0.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 27

Doug Overkill

Occupation
Machinist
Hi Fester
Welcome to a great resource for your machine. the 2693xxxx is your engine serial number. The tractor should have a similar tag on the housing to the right of the steering wheel that starts with an 8. I think you have a 1971 580CK. The pics you posted look the same as mine which is also a 1971. That manual you showed is for the 580B CK which will cover some info but not all. The 580b started in late 1971 and there are definitely differences to the 580ck. The tachometer is driven by a square cable in a sheath that connects to the drive mounted on the right side of the engine. The tach cable does look broken. Does the piece still at the engine spin when the engine is running? If so that part of the cable should pull straight out of the drive. The inner core (square cable) is a replaceable part #A24523. If it doesn’t spin then the gear on the end of the drive is toast and you will need a puller to remove that drive. (PM me and we can figure that out).

Festeraxp

Occupation
I never checked if it spun but I did pull it straight out so I do have the end. I pulled it right out with some channel locks.

Festeraxp

Occupation
where is the replaceable part at case? when I got the backhoe I noticed that that cable was broken by the end. Like I said I pulled the end part out last night with channel locks so I'm assuming that it is okay since I was able to pull it out. You got a suggestion for me on where to get the replacement cable from? Thanks a lot for your help too.

Doug Overkill

Occupation
Machinist
Actually after I looked at your pics again you will need the whole cable which is part #A38817. That comes with the inside core. It is #21 in attached diagram. I missed that the flared end which screws into drive is broken on the cable. You may be able to see the drive spinning without that little end sticking out. it’s worth knowing if the drive (#23) is still good.

If you are doing much repair work you will need a good parts book as well as the service manuals. The parts ‘fiche’ is also available by getting the ‘MY Yard’ app from Case. Just search CASE CE where ever you get apps. A lot of times dis & re-assembly will go much easier when you can look at the parts book. 45+ yo tractor may not always have been put back together the way it was built. Don’t assume the way it comes apart is correct. That has bit me more than once.

004E4B66-F4BE-440D-B57E-8D23E38BCD74.png C94A3E4F-9C70-418A-8F34-19A99D5525D8.png

004E4B66-F4BE-440D-B57E-8D23E38BCD74.png

C94A3E4F-9C70-418A-8F34-19A99D5525D8.png

Festeraxp

Occupation
you are a life saver, im wondering if I can just order the tachometer cable from ebay and then just the one part from case. I'm also going to assume that I will have to remove the piece from the block right?

Doug Overkill

Occupation
Machinist
No need to remove tach drive IF it spins. Put the broken end back in and start it up to check.

Festeraxp

Occupation
I will today, when I tried to push it back in last night it seemed hard to get back in. Maybe it is busted. ill reconnect the amp gauge today to the alternator so that I can start it and see if it runs. im at work right now.

Festeraxp

Occupation
if not I was thinking get a bolt and then get a piece of steel tubing cut it and put a washer and bolt on the top and try to pop it off.

Tinkerer

You can search ebay, but I would be surprised if you can find the correct one.
CNH dealers can get the complete cable or the inner flexable core for it.
The drive assembly has a fibre gear on them that quite commonly wear out.
for a new one at a dealership.
The Case online parts book is here ---> https://partstore.casece.com/us/par...5f9f8b3&sl=EN&currency=#epc::mr65627ag4305133
They typically are around $150.00 or more. Item #22
drive.png

Tinkerer

that center piece is the one I pulled out already. so its just a small hole where the end of that drive used to be.
You are OK. That was probably the broken off end of the cable core you pulled out.

so all I really have to do is screw a bolt into that housing hole and then try to pull it out?
Yes. I posted a drawing of the puller I made a few years ago. I will look in my shop for the puller. If I can find it I will post a photo of it.
Don't if I want to go down there today it was -1 degree outside a few minutes ago.

Festeraxp

Occupation
Thanks to both of you, im glad I moved it into the garage the high here Wednesday is going to be 3 and the low -5 with wind chills as low as -45. there was no way I was going to work on that machine outside.