• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580CK oil questions

Scott Lane

oh okay I was curious because I called the local case dealer and they didn't even know what to tell me they said to use hytrans and everything except the gearbox. the stuff I got to Tractor Supply I believe it's there premium transmission hydraulic oil stuff The Jug says it meets the requirements of hytrans

Grady

If you read the description, you'll see it has the additives for wet brakes. I think you can use their regular hydraulic oil iso 46. I've used 90 weight in my mine before I knew that it was designed for regular hydraulic oil. The regular hydraulic oil actually costs a little more than the "premium".

Grady

Actually, I think the Hytrans does have the same additive package and is used in machines newer than yours with wet brakes. I'm not sure about using that in your shuttle but like I said, I've used 90 wt. with no problems so anything slippery will probably work but I'm pretty sure it called for Case TCH from the factory.

Scott Lane

Your right, it did call for Case TCH from the factory . I thought hytrans replaced it. Maybe I'll swap the torque tube to 90w then . As far as the hydraulic oil you recommend the 46? What about the 303 fluid? It's a shame I already bought all this TSC premium stuff,

Grady

I think - but I'm not positive - that it's OK to use oil with the wet brake additive for this purpose - except that the viscosity may be different. Using regular hydraulic oil for wet brakes/clutches can definitely be a problem.

Scott Lane

It's a shame there are so many answers to these questions. I've seen people say it takes dex3, the fluid I bought from TSC, hytrans only, 303, aw 32. I've read the factory hydraulic oil viscosity was 10w it read 30w. And the service manual is of absolutely no help at all.

Grady

I wouldn't swap it to 90wt. just because I did it. I had no owners manual and there was no internet back in those days and a gear box took 90 wt. in my experience. I was wrong. Must have been the first time. ; )

I'd use the 46 in the hydraulic system - and in the Hi/low next time you change it.

It is confusing. As they change things over the years and fluids evolve, they try to make fewer fluids that cover all the bases - even the old "obsolete" models like ours.

Scott Lane

Maybe I was saying it wrong, I poured the TSC fluid into the Hi/low shift cover. I have 85-140 in the differential and gearbox. And I think I will return what I got and get 46 for the hydraulic system.

Scott Lane

The stuff that came out of the torque tube/hi-low (looks like it's compartment) was thin like hydraulic/atf oil. Stank and was really rust colored. Hopefully the TCH premium will be fine in there for a while. I plan on changing everything again after the first hard use

Delmer

The traveler trans hydraulic will be fine for the hydraulic system. If Case specified a trans hydraulic fluid for the hydraulic system it was out of convenience. 46 or 32 AW hydraulic fluid would be fine too. 303 is a bargain fluid not fit for anything more advanced than a JD or Farmall A or B, or an 8N Ford. The hydraulic fluid doesn't need to be changed again for many hours, unless you have water in it, then changing half of it still won't help, you'll need to get more serious to get the water out.

Scott Lane

It has water but I am resealing every ram and replacing most hoses, should get about 90% of the old fluid out. Figured change it again along with the diff/gearbox and torque tube again after 20 hard hours or so wouldn't hirt

Grady

Do what you want but like Delmer said, really no need to change it again so soon.

Don't worry, you're going to have plenty of things to work on once you start using it. The weak link in these old CKs is the differential. Don't use it for a bulldozer. It will push brush and loose dirt but don't treat it like a D9 or you'll be sorry.