• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580CK oil questions

Scott Lane

I have read that, for the most part I will be digging small stumps and pushing brush around do some back dragging n such. Hopefully it can handle it. I really do appreciate all the help and advice from y'all.

Grady

If you have the time and inclination, You might want to pull the cover under the seat and check the ring and pinion condition. You could check the backlash or have someone do it. Look for any chipped teeth, etc. it would be easier without all that 90 wt. and then you can see what kind of little pieces are in the nooks and crannies that don't drain out.

There are a couple 580CK rebuild threads on here that are pretty comprehensive and entertaining as well

Last edited:

Scott Lane

I may just do that, can't hurt. I've been a marine mechanic for the past 10 years, auto, truck and stuff before that. It shouldn't be anything I can't handle.

Tinkerer

You could take your damaged gland and a new wiper seal to a machine shop. It can be repaired.
The Travelers Premium you bought is a 10w-30 viscosity oil. It should be ok for you to use.
Do not use 303 hydraulic oil. It does not have the anti-wear additives that the AW class oils have.

Last edited:

Scott Lane

Ok thanks man, also I took the nut to every machine shop in my area, none could repair it, one shop said they could machine a new one for $235.00 seemed a bit steep.

Scott Lane

Thanks man, my differential and manual gearbox share fluid, I used 85-140 EP gl5. I'm guessing the shuttle is the torque tube and hi/lo range cover? It took about 2.5-3 gallons, I used the tch equivalent fluid in there

Grady

You'll be fine with those fluids.
Earlier I referred to my manual shuttle as a "gear box" because if you pull the cover off it looks like a box of gears. I didn't mean to confuse it with the transmission "gear box". Sorry if that wasn't clear.
Tinkerer, what's up with the brake master cylinders? CK's don't have them - mine anyway. My C does.

Grady

I think they call the power shuttle the torque tube because the torque converter is in there too. The manual shuttle has the hi/low range shifter along with a standard dry clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel set up. The fluid chart that Tinkerer posted says the manual shuttle only holds 2 quarts so you may want to check yours. I thought the fill plug has a dipstick welded to it. It's been so long since I changed mine, I can't remember. I guess it must be due.

Nate Craig

I have a 1969 case shuttle shift backhoe, I have changed all the filters. When you 1st start it up and start using it runs fantastic in forward and reverse, the longer you operate it it doesn't want to move forward but will in reverse. Shut it down and let cool down a little bit and will work like a charm until it gets warm then it will not move forward. Any suggestions?? Thank you