1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Case 580ck generator to alternator mounting

Discussion in 'Tractor/Loader/Backhoes' started by dirty rice, Feb 18, 2021.

1. dirty rice

dirty rice Member

I read several threads on people converting the old generators to Delco 10SI alternators. The discussion usually involves the wiring aspect, but I'm having trouble with the mounting part. I got a universal mounting bracket and had to cut off a portion of the lower bracket due to interference with the PS pump fill tube, but the 10SI alternator I got from autozone seems too large in diameter. It barely fits between the intake manifold and loader arm. Am I doing something wrong or do these 10SI alternators come in different sizes?

2. Coaldust

Coaldust Senior Member

Cargo Tanks
    No, unless you got a 15si, which is a little larger in frame size.

You can clock the si series alternators in four different positions to optimize the mounting bosses. Don’t pull the case apart when you do that or your brush springs will go warp-9 across the shop.

Tinkerer likes this.
  3. dirty rice

dirty rice Member

Thank for the tip, but re-clocking alternator doesn't seem like it will help. The alternator hits the intake manifold and loader arm before it can even get far back enough to go under the top bracket. Does anyone have any pics on how they mounted theirs up?

Attached Files:

4. Larryv

Larryv Member

5. Larryv

Larryv Member

Go to case and c get mtg hardware for a 580B. I wouldn't use that alt. I would use a 1 wire delco. Wire from stud to a 40 amp circuit breaker. then to hot wire on starter.

6. dirty rice

dirty rice Member

I thought that alternator I got from Autozone (dl7127m) was a one wire Delco. Would you happen to know a part number that I can give to Autozone, O'Reilly, or Napa to cross reference?

7. Coaldust

Coaldust Senior Member

Cargo Tanks
    The Napa Delco 10si one wire 63A is Part #: NNE 1N4011B. That’s with “all new parts”. They have a reman version, too.

8. Tinkerer

Tinkerer Senior Member

It can be installed as a one wire.
    It depends on how it is done.
    There have been several detailed discussions in this forum as to how to do it.
    There is some confusion because there are three variations (that I know of) of how it can be wired.
    And sometimes they are all referred to as a one wire.
    Here is a link to the most recent detailed discussion.
    https://www.heavyequipmentforums.co...nator-replacment-and-wiring-guidelines.85665/

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021