• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580ck engine swap help/tips

Funny farm

Occupation
Red seal,high pressure certified welder
Hi. New to the site and fairly new to heavy equipment. Bought a backhoe a couple years ago and a few months later it started to knock badly. Stopped running her immediately and after several years of looking I found a replacement engine. Wondering what i should replace on the “new to me “ engine before installing it. Rear main seal? Other gaskets ?...?? Or just install it as is ?? Also should I replace and seals like the converter seal? ( I have a power shuttle unit ) Any help and tips would be greatly appreciated as I’m a bit unsure as to what I should pay attention to and what I can leave be. Old engine runs and has good spare parts but has a crank/ rod knock. With the cost of a crank and rebuild I decided to start with a diff engine and hope for the best. New engine is claimed to have about 3000hrs and was pulled from a running hoe. It has a clutch and flywheel that I will need to swap for the one off the original engine as it has a converter not a clutch. Any tips on swapping the flywheels around ?... I notice a few small diff in the engine castings but they r both 188 engines. Thank in advance for any help. Heading out now to continue preparing for the split. Old engine is almost disconnected now. Just the steering rams, fuel lines and throttle rod , hyd pump and radiator to remove and a few other small things. Then it’s time to block the old girl up and split her in half. Never done this before and I’m working in a gravel driveway so fingers crossed it goes ok. Gotta use what u have and unfortunately I don’t have a shop or a cement pad , so level spot on gravel lane will have to do. Lol

Muffler Bearing

Occupation
Truck Mechanic
Hard to predict exactly how it will go, I think you'll just find yourself holding a used part in each hand deciding which one is better on a couple things. Let me know if you are looking for any torque specs or specific procedures and I'll see what I can do

Livesinabarn321

Hey Funny Farm, I’m new too and just went through the same ordeal, I was given a 580b with the 188d that set up many years with a crank case full of water. I spend a chunk of change rebuilding the engine. New bearings, seals, gaskets, pistons, rings and all. New valves and machine work on the head(seats ground and resurface.) new injectors and all that and polished the crank. Ran great for the first 5 hours or so. Then I spun a cam bearing. Very depressing. Lesson learned. A few weeks later I found a 580ck on Facebook with a bad pinion bearing and much to my wife’s dismay bought it for $1400 and swapped engines. Second time pulling and putting in the engine went a lot quicker just knowing what sizes everything was and were it was all at. I know I’m a month late but if you haven’t already done it yet I’ll say it’s a lot easier to leave the front axle attached, that way you don’t have to have the engine rigged completely balanced as you pull it. Have metal and wood wedges, plenty of jacks and jack stands and be sure to have the loader supported well if it has one. Angle iron and hose clamps worked pretty good for me out in the yard the first time but I had a chain fall in the shop the second. I had trouble safely supporting the hydraulic resevior/frame because of the upward angles they run at and still haven’t figured a good way. The machine has a wet bell housing and I had to pry mine apart again the first time to reseal with gasket maker after realizing that. Same on the starter. Good luck and be safe! Let us know how it went