• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580c Steering Cylinder Piston

Pound

Hello! I somewhat inherited a Case 580c, and I have been repairing it this summer. I have replaced the seals on a stabilizer, tilt, and both swing cylinders. I also replaced the brake slave units.

I was using the backhoe when I realized the steering was unresponsive and worsening, I stepped downward and saw hydraulic fluid spraying from a steering cylinder!

I have removed both rods, however, I cannot unthread the pistons from the rods. I used rubber and vise grips to try and remove a piston, but it would not budge—I marred the piston a little. Should I use a fine sandpaper to smooth a high spot on the piston? Could I do the same for a high spot on the rod?

I think I will heat the threaded rod that the piston threads onto and be careful not to melt the aluminum piston.

Can you help me remove the pistons from the rods? I appreciate your consideration and any advice.

Thank you,

JohnSteering_Rods.JPG

Dave Neubert

You can put it in a shop press sometimes the aluminum mashes a little and makes it stick to rod. also the piston on the right must of been made there is no bearing on it it should have one to make the packing last longer

Pound

You can put it in a shop press sometimes the aluminum mashes a little and makes it stick to rod. also the piston on the right must of been made there is no bearing on it it should have one to make the packing last longer
I heated the pistons and my Dad unthreaded them. I think the Locktite melted. Thank you.

Last edited:

jsk

I would use a fine file vs. sand paper/emory. better control on small crater risers.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Rebuild them if you wish with new seals, but keep in mind, a 580C is an old machine with well aged/worn steering cylinders. There's aftermarket cylinders out there and they're not all that expensive. If I had the means I'd opt with replacing those cylinders, and you get new ball joints to boot.

Pound

I replaced the seals.

For posterity:

Single groove piston, seal kit: A44644

Double groove piston, seal kit: D83184

I think D83184 is compatible with the single groove piston, but it includes a u-cup seal instead of an O-ring and wiper seal.

Neither seal kit comes with a spacer, A44641, but I used a PVC pipe. The dimensions for the spacer are 31.62mm ID x 34.37mm OD x 7.7mm L

I damaged one spacer when removing one gland—it was stuck.

I did not need any special tools. The U-cup installation tool I had did not fit into the gland bore, but the U-cup is pliable. I used round nose pliers to squish the U-cup into a shape similar to that the tool would do.

John