• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CASE 580C starts for a bit but will not run. Low power

Devsine

1977 CASE 580C with the 188 4 cylinder diesel engine.
Was running great, noticed I was low on fuel, got 5 gallons of diesel at a 76 gas station I don't normally go to, but it was closer than any other gas station. A sticker on the pump at the gas station said it may contain up to 5% biodiesel. Didn't think anything of it. Poured the 5 gallons into my rusty old tank and fired her up.

Started digging with the hoe and moved a few scoops of dirt before I noticed she was bogging down. Throttle wasn't responding very well. The next big scoop I tried to lift the engine died. Fired it back up, it ran good for a couple more minutes, even moved a little more dirt, then same thing, low power, no throttle response, and noticed lots of smoke from the exhaust.

Figured I stirred up a bunch of rust sediment in the tank when I poured in the 5 gallons so I bought new primary and secondary fuel filters. Confirmed the primary fuel filter had a fair amount of rusty sludge in the bottom of it. The secondary fuel filter looked clean, at least in the bottom. The filter element stuff probably had a bit of debris in it though. I installed the new fuel filters, bled the air from the system, and fired her up.

Seemed to run fine for a couple minutes, more smoke than normal though, then started running rough again and died. Damn, guess the fuel filters were not the issue.

So, I drained all the diesel out of the tank and fuel filters and got 5 gallons from a trusted (high volume) station in town. Poured that in, fired her up, still smokes a ton, low power, and after a minute or two of running poorly it just dies. I fired it up enough times to be sure that I used all the potentially bad diesel.

What do you guys think the issue is? Did the 5% biodiesel mess up my fuel injector pump? Should I replace the fuel injectors because they're cheap and easy as the next diagnostic parts cannon step?

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Welcome to posting on HEF @Devsine !;)

I wouldn't think that small amount of fuel could do any damage - unless it was gasoline....

There maybe still a blockage at the outlet pipe in the fuel tank.
Would be a good idea to disconnect the pipe between the tank & the fuel filters & blow some compressed air back into the tank to clear any restriction.

Also, Have you checked the air cleaner?
There's no pedals or control levers that could be stiff/tight on operation that may have a hydraulic circuit deadheading? - putting load on the engine??

Delmer

What color smoke are you getting? black or dark? white/grey variable?

You might have to drain the tank again and flush it until you don't get anymore gunk out of it. you can use the old diesel you drained, let it settle in a bucket, pour off the top and repeat.

Or run it off a temporary tank to diagnose the problem before you go to the next step.

The biodiesel takes at least 12 hours to ruin your injection pump:D this is much more likely water or rust.

Devsine

It didn't smell like gasoline, so I think we're safe there.
I don't think there's any blockage at the outlet pipe on the tank because I drained the diesel from the bottom of the primary fuel filter and it pissed out about 7 gallons in maybe 10 minutes.
I have not checked the air cleaner yet, I don't think that's likely to be the issue, but it's an easy one to check off the list.
I don't think there are any issues with control levers or hydraulic circuits. When the engine first starts it revs up to 1500 rpm quite nicely and I don't hear the hydraulic fluid pump straining at all.
Smoke is white/grey maybe a little blue in there too, but the bit of blue on cold start was there before this issue.
The diesel that came out when I drained the tank looked good, and the backhoe had been running well earlier in the day (before I added the 5 gallons). I think I've eliminated the quality of the fuel as being the issue at this point.
I removed and inspected the mesh fuel filter that drops down inside the injection pump and it was completely clean.

RDC_580C

Take the check valve out of the fuel return line, top of the Injection Pump, and see if it has any crud in there. When that flex ring in the pump starts to disintegrate it'll block up the fuel return from the IP, and no fuel out of the pump means no fuel gets into it, so at best it'll just idle. You can take that check valve completely out for a short test, and if it runs fine after that then get a new one and have the flex ring in the IP replaced.

Devsine

Thanks RDC_580C, I had already pulled the check valve out of the fuel return line because I found that YouTube video of the guy that had a really similar sounding problem, but mine was clean.
However! When I pulled the Injection Pump timing cover I found little bits of broken black plastic inside (assuming from the flex ring) and I've already taken the pump to H&H Diesel here in the Seattle area for a rebuild. If I don't update the thread again, it's safe to assume that the Injection Pump was the issue and I'm back outside moving dirt!
Oh, and I checked the air filter, it was fine, no rodent nests or anything blocking air flow.

Last edited:

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
What is H&H charging for the O/H.??
The black bits/coffee grounds/mouse turds IS the broken flex ring..
IF you have access to an air compressor?? Take off/loosen the fuel cap & take you air hose & slowly blow back to the tank thru the RETURN LINE off the top of the pump.. Just make sure that's clear all the way back..
Did they offer u an EID weight retainer?? so you'll NEVER have this problem again..??

Devsine

It was $807 for the rebuild. They didn't offer an EID weight retainer, and I don't know if they put one in proactively or not. Probably not. However! The machine is running better than ever now! It was indeed the fuel injection pump at fault. Thanks for the help.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
WOW.. NEXT TIME u wanna throw away 800.00 for a problem that's IS GOING TO RETURN..
Look me up.. I woulda put an EID weight retainer in your pump, done a complete o/h & charged u 200.00 less.. w/ free shipping.

Patchnpraymike

We live and learn, sold my good 580 b and I learned, I just bought a 580 c cheap with no working gauges and only a push button to start, only gonna add what's needed to avoid a money pit, runs good and works good, it's bare basics, I'm changing all fluids and filters and fixing any leaks, there's no wiring to the gauges so I'm gonna try it with bare basics, any suggestions?

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Nothin wrong w/ that..
.. just check the engine oil EVERY TIME before u get on it.. check for thinning & of course the level..
& keep an eye on the TEMP.. they aren't known to overheat but its always good to keep in mind.
BTW> love the screen name.. Lol