• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580C Shuttle front pump seal replacement

MartinDR1025

While im rebuilding the engine in my 580C , I need to replace the large front pump seal. Is this a pain? Thanks

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Oh ok sorry. It’s not too bad of a job. Pull the old seal and install new one. Best thing to do is remove shuttle from bell housing so you can get to seal easier, I’m supposing you pulled shuttle with engine. I always put grease in spring area of new seal so it doesn’t jump out when seal is installed.

MartinDR1025

The Shuttle is still installed. Does the cover just come off by itself or are there other parts I have to be careful of?

Attachments

• 20191207_114910.jpg
    20191207_114910.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 33

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
The pump will separate without any issue if you remove those four retaining bolts.
It may need a little bump with a soft faced hammer to break it free from the housing.
The retaining bolts are offset & the pump can only be installed in one position. It's a good idea to refit the bolts using copper washers to seal the heads.
But I don't think the quadring is the cause of the leak.

I hope you are replacing the visible input seal as well??
Is there any grooving on the converter spout - where the seal runs?
If so, the leak will likely continue after you refit the shuttle.......

also, take a good close look at all the welds on the converter for any cracking - as there seems to be alot of oil in that housing.

MartinDR1025

Thank for all the help!!!!. I am replacing that seal as well. Ill look over the converter welds and look for any groove.