• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580c Return To Dig

onemank6

I wasn't able to post the pics. I think the apple images are not an approved file type - but It could just be that I'm a computer moron because you should never rule out the obvious. If anyone knows for sure, feel free to let me know. Thanks.
Hey Grady i send my pics using the digital camera disc i know when you try to upload them this site says it can only be the following filetypes jpg,jpeg,png,gif you might ask a store best buy,staples or a 6yr old grandkid what yours are or how to get your file turned into one of these types of files i am using a pc not apple but there has to be a way to do it with your apple.Dont feel bad my 6 yr old granddaughter does know more about this kinda stuff than i do i wish i knew more so i could help you with it i have found that being able to do it comes in real handy and once you figure it out its pretty easy you might even start a thread asking others on here im sure someone has this figured out with the apple...

Grady

I put a 5 gallon bucket over the exhaust and then a tarp over that so thats the shape. I painted the CK with SEM rust shield Cat Yellow about 10 years ago. They only had Cat or John Deere yellow - no Case, and the JD was too bright for me so I went with the Cat. The C has a hole in the roof where the rotating beacon used to attach and if I don't cover it - it drips right on the seat. The C and the K have the automatic shuttle, diff. lock, and no high/low range.

onemank6

Grady cool you figured out how to post those pics all 3 of your tractors look pretty good that old ck cab looks like one that juskatla on the website has i think his was a sims cab and if i was gonna do a cab on mine that would be the one i would want it looks really good on the tractor.
Thanks for the pics its neat seeing the different ones...

Grady

Yeah, I would lose at who's smarter than a 5th grader but I finally figured it out. They don't look as bad from a distance with some snow and tarps on them. It's hard enough just to keep everything running, let alone spiffed up. You guys must have more spare time, or you're just smart enough to keep the number of machines to a minimum. Lucky you live so far away or I'd put you to work. :) Thanks for prodding me to learn something new. It will come in handy, I'm sure.

1968 Case 580CK

Grady......Great pics.....Man, I barely have time to keep my ole 68CK running.....I cant imagine having to keep 3 going, and doing all the resto work on them all. You have some great investments there.....the top CK, is that in the 68-70 year range? I do the tarp thing too, until I can build a shelter with a 10 foot tall ceiling. I even try wrapping a small tarp around the top of the backhoe to help keep water from leeching down into that top cylinder, and if I know she will be sitting a long time, I will try to oil up those shiny chrome cylinder pistons. I have seen some left out and developed rust spots all over the chrome....not good for the seals.

onemank6

Grady......Great pics.....Man, I barely have time to keep my ole 68CK running.....I cant imagine having to keep 3 going, and doing all the resto work on them all. You have some great investments there.....the top CK, is that in the 68-70 year range? I do the tarp thing too, until I can build a shelter with a 10 foot tall ceiling. I even try wrapping a small tarp around the top of the backhoe to help keep water from leeching down into that top cylinder, and if I know she will be sitting a long time, I will try to oil up those shiny chrome cylinder pistons. I have seen some left out and developed rust spots all over the chrome....not good for the seals.
68 I just happen to have a large yellow umbrella that im not using anymore it even has a taped up hole in it you could cut the tape and run a chimney threw it for a woodburner (just saying) waste not want not hahaha

1968 Case 580CK

68 I just happen to have a large yellow umbrella that im not using anymore it even has a taped up hole in it you could cut the tape and run a chimney threw it for a woodburner (just saying) waste not want not hahaha

Xpac.......Yea man.......I like your style of thinking.....put a chimney thru that hole in your yeller umbrella and I would be ready to face those cold winds coming from your neck of tha woods. The next good Alberta Clipper coming thru Michigan, just toss that tractror umbrella up into the chilly winds, and Im sure it will arrive down here shortly after that tie rod nut does. Haaaa Haaaaa

onemank6

Xpac.......Yea man.......I like your style of thinking.....put a chimney thru that hole in your yeller umbrella and I would be ready to face those cold winds coming from your neck of tha woods. The next good Alberta Clipper coming thru Michigan, just toss that tractror umbrella up into the chilly winds, and Im sure it will arrive down here shortly after that tie rod nut does. Haaaa Haaaaa
There both flying your way

Grady

'68, You better measure, I don't think a 10 foot clearance is enough unless you drop the boom and stretch out the hoe before driving in - and then she gets so long it might be hard to close the door - if there is one. I've been thinking of some kind of shelter for my equipment. Even just a roof with sides that you can drive through would work for me. I have an old farmall M that pulls a cordwood trailer and backing it up is no treat. Yeah, just keeping everything going is enough so I don't devote a lot of time to cosmetics but I like seeing the pics of those that do.

onemank6

Hey grady i put mine in a 10' slider door but i do have to stretch out the backhoe then work it in after the tractor is in i raise the boom and pull it in so it ends up only stretched out a little and i slide the door closed.mine is the extendhoe

One of my neighbors has a 580b regular hoe and a 12ft slider on his barn and he can drive right it but it is close...

1968 Case 580CK

'68, You better measure, I don't think a 10 foot clearance is enough unless you drop the boom and stretch out the hoe before driving in - and then she gets so long it might be hard to close the door - if there is one. I've been thinking of some kind of shelter for my equipment. Even just a roof with sides that you can drive through would work for me. I have an old farmall M that pulls a cordwood trailer and backing it up is no treat. Yeah, just keeping everything going is enough so I don't devote a lot of time to cosmetics but I like seeing the pics of those that do.

Grady......Yep, that was my plan.....to bend the hoe down enough to get some of the hoe under shelter, depending on how long the building is. The main thing was to keep the tractor under-roof so I dont have to fool around with tarps all the time.

Grady

Yeah, '68, I'm going with the 12'+ doors because I know I'll drive right through one some day if I don't. Pretty sure the CK is a 1970. I hear you on the tarp thing. It's a real PITA. One of these days….. You know how it goes - The cobbler's kids have no shoes, the mechanic's car doesn't run, etc. I wear all the hats [half-as*ed] so my rigs need work, the garage isn't done, and the roof leaks. Good thing I don't make shoes, huh?

Last edited:

1968 Case 580CK

Yeah, '68, I'm going with the 12'+ doors because I know I'll drive right through one some day if I don't. Pretty sure the CK is a 1970. I hear you on the tarp thing. It's a real PITA. One of these days….. You know how it goes - The cobbler's kids have no shoes, the mechanic's car doesn't run, etc. I wear all the hats [half-as*ed] so my rigs need work, the garage isn't done, and the roof leaks. Good thing I don't make shoes, huh?

Grady......Yea, we both would have toes popping thru if we made shoes......and that blizzard is about to clobber us big time.....dont need holes in our shoes. You are right.....12' is the way to go. Now you have me scratching my head about 12 vs 10.....actually wont cost that much more.

Grady

No sense doing all that work for something that's too small. You're right, it won't cost much more to make it big enough. Looks like you're gonna get a chance to move some snow with that thing. At least it won't get dirty ; ) I use mine for snow removal around my place. I got a set of tire chains that makes all the difference - no more wheel spinning - about like 4wd without chains. Best $200. I've spent on her.

onemank6

Believe it or not i actually snaked my whole tractor with backhoe in my 22x30 with 8ft door shop you see in the pics of course i didnt have the old faithfull umbrella on it.I had to get it in there one winter for some kinda repair and it was tight moving around in there but hey i had heat.If i was putting up something specifically for these to drive in and out without having to stretch out the backhoe i would do 12' both of my neighbors run the 580b's and have the 12 ' slider doors and they pull right in and out but if you were gonna do a overhead door then you probably would need 14' for headroom for the door.When i fist moved out here there were no barns just a 2 car garage and i need a place for my junk and kubouta so i bought 2 of what i called those plastic pole barns and they held up for about 6 yrs i think they were about $300.00 each and they got me threw until the barns came...

1968 Case 580CK

No sense doing all that work for something that's too small. You're right, it won't cost much more to make it big enough. Looks like you're gonna get a chance to move some snow with that thing. At least it won't get dirty ; ) I use mine for snow removal around my place. I got a set of tire chains that makes all the difference - no more wheel spinning - about like 4wd without chains. Best $200. I've spent on her.

Grady.....good tip.....I will look into getting chains sometime. Will get to experiment w/o chains this weekend.

Grady

If your place is flat, you're all set but if it's up and down like mine, you'll be looking for chains. I don't have much flat area. My elevation changes 200 feet from lowest point to highest and it isn't just a steady incline, it's up and down and up and down etc. - and we get serious snow. Your turn this time, though, I think it's gonna miss us for a change. Have fun.

1968 Case 580CK

Grady.....yea, Ive got some decent grades here too, but not as extreme as yours. I guess you are in the WV/Ky/Tnn areas?

Cranked "Greased Lightning" up this morning and was moving piles of brush. When going down one steep grade with very low RPM's, she did pop out of low range and started rolling a bit fast. At least the brakes are working....not great, but working. Im hoping that I just had not shifted all the way into Low range, and thats why it popped out. This is the first time since the rebuild work that this has happened.

Hopefully Xpac didnt send those Murphey's Law Gremlins from Michigan back to Virginia.

Grady

'68, Look in that white box on the left of each post. Go down 3 lines under the name. I'm north of this blizzard, We aren't supposed to get much if any this time around here. It's your turn for a change, sorry. Last year we got around 10 feet so don't feel too dumped on. When we get that kind of snow it is barely news but down there it's a natural disaster because it hardly ever happens.