• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

case 580C rear transmission drain location , oil spec

BigEarl

Where is the drain for the rear transmission on a 580C case backhoe. ( Not the shuttle) the 4 speed transmission that uses a the threaded in dipstick in a hole through the floor of the operator's platform. Also what is the most likely path that water is using to get into this transmission. I have no way to keep the machine inside and the oil is very over full and has lots of water contamination. Also what is the correct weight of replacement oil?

BigEarl

I have found the answer to some of the questions but not others . The oil is 80-90 weight. The only likely place that I can find to drain it is an access cover on the back. Is that the drain location?

BigEarl

Thank you, I will look there. I could not find it the last time that I was under the machine and neither could my brother in law. I try to not get on the ground if not totally essential because it is so hard to get back into my wheel chair. Both my knees and one shoulder are bad so I am very thankful for my power wheelchair but it does limit my view.

BigEarl

Any suggestions as to the source of the water? We are too dry here in Nebraska to get a lot of water from the air. We have had the machine 7 years and purchased it from near Lincoln Nebraska. It has never been flooded in the time that we have had it, but can never know about before then. I have the shuttle out and disassembled. It does not show any signs of flood. A question, is it more likely that a re builder or the factory would paint mark the pump bolts? I am guessing a re builder. if so then the shuttle has been rebuilt. The machine does seem to have a replacement engine. The paint does not match the rest of the machine. The engine starts easy and burns no oil. Another question. What are the weak points on the 580C? Because of age I am about 1/2 way through replacing hydraulic cylinder seals. The other 1/2 are needing replaced. Thank you Torboos for the picture showing the drain plug location.

Tubroos

In my experience one of the most common places for water to enter the transmission (on tractors in general) is the rubber boot at the base of the gear shift lever. Seems like a surprising amount of rain can get in if that doesn't fit well.m

BigEarl

My machine has ROP so that should cut down on it a lot from the gear shift lever. But I don't know how long it has had water so flooding may be a possibility too. I will be attempting to drain it later today.

BigEarl

Bell housing is now off and we will be removing the torque converter for a flush out tomorrow Lord willing. I am thinking I will dump a couple gallon of diesel in the transmission to rinse out the last of the water. The water trap in the bottom of the fuel tank was plugged. Also 3/4 full of water. I got it opened up today. I tightened the fuel petcock valve a turn in the tank. I hope that is where I am loosing fuel. I will check tomorrow. Making good progress. (for being wheel chair bound)