• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580C purchase questions

dtcohen

Hi all,

I am looking to purchase a backhoe and dump truck to use around the house some. I have found a dumptruck, trailer, backhoe package deal that a guy is selling. The story is that the equipment belonged to this fellows father and he passed away. There is a 1990 Chevrolet Kodiak dumptruck with 83k miles, gas engine, 5spd manual, an equipment trailer, and a Case 580C backhoe. The asking price is $17,500.

My questions are more about the backhoe, but input on any of the equipment is appreciated. Is there anything specific to the Case 580 backhoes that I need to look for? I know to check fluids, pin wear, machine hours, tire condition. According to the seller the brakes on the backhoe do not work. What could be involved in repairing them?

The seller says that the backhoe is a 1985 model, but from my research the C-series only went to 1980. Is that correct?

What would be a fair valuation of the backhoe? My thought was $7200-$7500. Is that in the right ballpark?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
DC

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
The 580C series did go out in 1980 and replaced by the "D" series so 80 is the newest it could be, maybe dad bought it in 85. Anyway yes the usual wear points are critical such as the swing tower pins and bushings also all of the other bushings as well. On the brake problem the 580C was the first to use hydraulic brakes, the master cylinders are behind the inst. cluster and can be seen by removing one of the covers on top of the dash cowling. If the machine is a power shuttle with brake pedals on left then remove the left cover and check the brake master cylinder flued, regular DOT3 fluid should be used. If they are dry then refill and bleed out and check brake cylinders on brake housing for leaks. Any other questions just ask.

dtcohen

Thanks for the info on the brakes. My concern was that the braking system was buried down in the tractor and that repair would mean major disassembly.

Grady

The value of the backhoe depends on it's condition - anywhere from 4K to !4K. The brakes are no big deal. If it starts and runs good and doesn't smoke much, the power shuttle and the differential would be my biggest concerns.

dtcohen

Where are the fluid check points on the differential and transmission? Is pushing into a pile of dirt and checking for pushing power and wheel spin a good test of the shuttle?

Grady

The shuttle has a dipstick behind the RH motor side cover. The machine needs to be warmed up first. Check it with the motor idling, shuttle shifter in neutral and floor shifter in 4th gear. The transaxle dipstick is under a cap in the floor of the cab under the seat.

Grady

There is a stall test for the shuttle that you can google. I think if you drive it around and work it at operating temp and everything works with no clunks or strange noises then it works. They may know of an imminent problem with the machine that they aren't telling you about or it may be just fine. In any case, if you work any machine - you'll break something sooner or later anyway. It's a good machine. They steer a little hard with a lot of weight in the front bucket but no big deal. I have one and like it.

Bill Smith

Occupation
Rental House Owner
Run it in second gear , push haul and load . Make sure it has tons of torque in forward and backwards . The brakes are easy to fix , the motor is not hard either . Back end bushings can be hard . Check for cylinders leaks . If you have to replace piston seals on the cylinders you will have to rent or buy a torque multiplier to get the bolts lose on the piston . Always the wiring at the dash is toast on that machine . There is a small round pedal on the floor , this is a differential lock , Basically locks both rear wheels for better push into heavy material . The 580 C was the first none tractor style backhoe case made . Great in its day . I had 4 of them and run the pants of them , not one issue . I traded them in on 4 new Super Es non 4 wheel drive . I found heaven . They came with the Cummins engines , In there day bullet proof . Have fun , I miss it .

Grady

You can drive it around in second gear but I'd use first for pushing and loading. It's almost 40 years old now.

dtcohen

Just wanted to update. I went and looked at the truck and backhoe yesterday and decided not to purchase it. The backhoe had 5000hrs showing on the tach and it no longer worked, so I could only guess how many hours were on it. Without driving it I was already leaning more towards passing on it. When the owner started it I ran through the loader and backhoe functions. Everything worked so I decided to drive it around some to test the drivetrain. I put it in 1st gear and shifted the shuttle to forward and......nothing happened. I revved the engine a little and still nothing. The machine would move a little bit in reverse, but neither I nor the owner could get it to move forward. That was the deciding factor for me. It could have been something simple, but the whole setup needed more work that I have time to put into it.

Thanks for the advice and buying tips. I am sure I will have questions about the next potential backhoe.