• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CASE 580C 'Power Loss'

MD_Tractor_85

Hi all,

Yesterday while operating the machine I experienced significant 'power loss' to the drive axle while trying to go uphill. It happened in both forward and reverse.

When on flat ground, she revves up just fine, and when I positioned her to do some digging, all hydraulics worked great, and did not notice any power loss there.

But when trying to go up my steep driveway, every time she would be so sluggish that she would barely make it up. Sometimes almost coming to a stop. And when I try revving it up to increase power to go up the hill, the rpms would not increase. Sometimes it would oscillate a bit (the engine). Like she wanted to increase, but couldn't.

Then, once I get to top of hill to flat ground, she settles out and is willing to go up in rpms again.

Note: It also feels like she hardly has any power when I am trying to go into a pile of dirt to pick up a front bucket full of dirt.

So the symptoms seem to be loss of power from the engine to the actual drive axle, if I had to describe it best.

I have absolutely zero idea on where to even begin my troubleshooting on this. I have 2 brand new fuel filters, so I'm going to at least replace those today or tomorrow..

Can anyone steer me in the right direction on this ? This one has me worried. So far I've been able to fix any issues that come up, because everything is accessible and I can get parts. But I have no idea what to do on this one. Would be great if it was just a clogged filter or screen...

If anyone can offer troubleshooting tips, or diagnosis, would be much appreciated. I can PM my # and talk on phone if anyone is willing to.

Thank you guys.

Vetech63

Well, we need to determine where the problem may lie within the powertrain. A simple stall test will tell us what direction to go. I assume you have the 207D engine? Do you have the ability to read engine rpm's? We will need a tachometer and the stall specs from a resident Case expert.

Someone experienced can do a stall test by ear, but I don't believe you would recognize the parameters of what we would be looking for.

MD_Tractor_85

I believe it's the 207. And yes, the rpm gauge works. It's the only gauge that does work!! So grateful it works!

Vetech63

I believe it's the 207. And yes, the rpm gauge works. It's the only gauge that does work!! So grateful it works!
Hopefully it will be accurate enough. Let the engine warm up.........then press the accelerator pedal to high idle with no load..........record that rpm reading.

Next, again with the engine at high idle, pull the boom or bucket to bottom out and record that rpm> That will be the hydraulic stall speed.

Then .......and make sure you have dam good brakes or/and the front of the machine against a tree or something that wont give........again with the engine at high idle.......... transmission stick in 4th (or highest gear) push the FNR lever into forward and record that rpm.....that is drivetrain convertor stall.

Lastly.......engine high idle, perform the hydraulic and the convertor stall at the same time and record that rpm. This is what is known as the full stall speed.

By doing this and comparing to the specs, we can narrow down the area that a problem may exist.

AGAIN..........be dam careful when doing the convertor stall. The machine may lunge if your brakes are weak. Its always best to ensure no movement in more than one way.

MD_Tractor_85

Got it, thank you. So I will be recording 4 rpm readings and that will help narrow this down.

Question - when you say pull the boom or bucket to 'bottom out'... What exactly am I doing there ? (And I would be more apt to do this with the boom because it seems to put more load on the system.)

Vetech63

Got it, thank you. So I will be recording 4 rpm readings and that will help narrow this down.

Question - when you say pull the boom or bucket to 'bottom out'... What exactly am I doing there ? (And I would be more apt to do this with the boom because it seems to put more load on the system.)
Your going to bottom out the cylinders and hold them there with the control lever which will be relieved by the main relief valve.

melben

Occupation
Retired 50 Yrs with Case dealership
Pull a cylinder clear in or out and continue to hold the lever and watch tach and record RPM,

rumblecloud

Occupation
Living the dream...:]
Ok, got it, thank you.
Hey MD...I'm new to the jargon too so don't feel bad. I kinda figured it meant pushing things to their limit, but wasn't sure about which direction that limit was heading --- either all the way in or all the way out. Glad I found out. Following this...

MD_Tractor_85

If anyone is willing to do this with me on a video call (Zoom or WhatsApp), I'm game. If not I will just take pictures and report my findings.

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
**TIP - While performing the converter stall test (with the machine in 4th gear, brakes on OR against a tree) select FWD / Neutral / FWD multiple times - if the converter is bad, sometimes it will test OK (around 1900rpm) & next shift it will stall the engine.

The spec sheet -
580C Stall Specs.jpg

Last edited:

MD_Tractor_85

Thanks Alrman. So for theory sake.. Let's say my tachometer is accurate, and my engine high idles at 2250 with no load.

So those RPM readings in your above picture are what the tachometer needle should drop to when I perform the said tests ?

And as long as the engine doesn't actually clonk out and stall when I do the combine test.. "engine must continue to run"..

I'll do the tests and take the readings.

I really hope I'm able to get help diagnosing it. I enjoy working on the machine, but I'm not in any position to open up the transmission and work on it... That seems way too daunting.

I guess though, if it's a serious issue, and I need to get deep into the machine, then I'll have to figure out how to go about it. Never done anything like that. Just rebuilt my first ever hydraulic cylinder (swing cylinder) two weeks ago.

MD_Tractor_85

Ok. Interesting. Seems like a small drop for converter. Very small drop for hydraulic.

And then when combined... Just needs to stay running.

I'll do the tests and report the findings. I'll start with a picture of my tachometer running at high idle.

Thanks guys