• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580C left drive wheel locks up

franklin2

Just for newbies like me who do not know how the brakes work, in the picture below #16 tightens around #12 to start the braking action, but #13, #14, and #15 are part of #12. As the band stops the OD of the 12, 13, 14 15 assembly, the back hoe tries to keep going, still turning the splined shaft in the center of #13. This rolls the balls #14 up ramps inside the assembly, this expands the 12, 13, 14, 15 assembly, pulling against the springs #15. This is what the flat brake lining #22 is for, that is mounted on the sides of the assembly, and as the assembly expands it rubs against the transaxle housing and the thick brake housing #1.

580c-dbrakeh-png.209850

silverstr8p

Thanks all, that's very helpful :)

I took two videos, one trying to move the diff lock lever, which didn't look like it moved anything close to what it should (I think)?

And the other showing how I can move the right wheel by hand fine, but the left one just locks up after about 6 inches. Also, I zoomed in on the brake assembly, which doesn't really seem to be restricting its movement?

It "sounds" like something inside is locking up the left wheel, like a gear sound. The driveshaft spins fine in both forward and reverse, just neither wheel drives.

I looked around in the book, but didn't see anything obvious.

Billrog

Occupation
band mill , backhoe and dump truck
Had a wheel like that lock up once a few teeth had come off the crown gear and one got jammed, 30 years ago so don't remember the details.

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
You need to check three things, make sure that the transmission is actually in neutral, and check your side gear shafts inside your brake housings also and you may have bad spider gears in differential.

silverstr8p

How hard is it to get the brake housings off and look at the side gear shaft, just a few bolts, or heart surgery?

If it's not that, how hard is it to get to the spider gears? That sounds really hard, especially because this backhoe isn't mine anyway, it's my dad's. I love him, but uh...

chas357

not to big of a deal 4 bolts one clevis one hose however it is heavy may need to lower it down on a floor jack

silverstr8p

Okay, will take a look. Would that make the differential lock thing not move hardly at all though? I'm not sure how the two might be related. I'll head over and see if we can get that brake cover off.

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
The brake housing is held on by two bolts and two nuts and your brake line and return spring will have to be removed. Another thing to check is the brakes themselves they may have come apart. Be sure and just pull the brake housing and not the backing plate too.

biggerhammer

Last time this happened to my buddy we took the brake housing off and I cant remember exactly what it was, but something in the ball and ramp system was cocked. It took about 10 min of staring at it to figure out how it worked while listening to buddy try and tell me what was wrong with it. I believe in that last picture #15 is a spring (might be 3 of them) and one was out further than the other and thats what tipped me off

silverstr8p

Yesterday we tried fiddling with the diff lock, since we thought that lever really should move more than almost nothing like it is now.

While messing with it with the motor running, the right wheel started locking up, then we messed with it some more and the right wheel unlocked and started moving like normal. The left wheel wouldn't unlock though still. Wouldn't it seem to have something to do with the diff lock then? Maybe if we messed with it more the left wheel would free up? It seems like that lever should move at least an inch or two?

I don't quite understand how that brake gear assembly fits in, does it tie to the big gear on the axle, or how does that thing integrate with the rest of the system.

melben

Occupation
Retired 50 Yrs with Case dealership
It was not abnormal for the Diff lock mechanism to rust fast, the rod should rotate easily where it enters the diff lock cover, there is also a spring mechanism in the lever on the shaft that should have motion then try to turn the rod against spring pressure, if I were looking for your problem I would remove the brake before anything else, if the diff lock was engaged the wheels would both turn the same way

silverstr8p

No, but I'm very convinced it's in that weird brake linkage assembly thing that's unique to 580's I think. I haven't gotten back to working on that rig yet, working on another 580C without a shred of brakes first :/

JustinEdwards

I got mine moving again today. The initial symptom was that when I went to move the tractor, only the right rear wheel spun. I raised back of the tractor off of the ground in neutral and the right rear wheel spun freely, but the left rear wheel only rotated back and forth a few inches in a way that felt like a locked steering wheel.
I removed the brake cover on the left side, and instantly, the wheel spun freely. I found that the boot cover for the link rod had deteriorated, allowing mud and foreign materials to build up under the cover. Consequently, there was a significant amount of rust throughout the assembly. I was pleased at how easy the covor was to remove.
upload_2022-10-20_19-12-38.png
upload_2022-10-20_19-17-55.png
upload_2022-10-20_19-19-32.png
upload_2022-10-20_19-18-26.png

Tinkerer

Welcome to HEF, Justin !
It is amazing that a simple thing like a rubber boot can cause so much damage.
It is bad when a boot is missing from a gear shift lever to.
More so if there is no enclosed cab on the tractor.