• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

case 580c Diesel coming out of head vent

xgiovannix12

Occupation
Operator/Mechanic/Truck driver
Hello guys I bought a new to me 580c couple months ago . I finally got done doing a ring and pinion job and started to work with it. Lets make a long story short I noticed im leaving a trail of fluid coming from the vent off the valve cover. its not my oil cause its always at level and the coolant stays at level. All I can think off is a stuck injector smack me upside the head if im wrong.

it does have a diesel smell to it when it leaks out and looks thin like water. what do you guys think? let me know thank you

It does not smoke, starts great . Gives me a little smoke when you give it throttle and clears up right away

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
A stuck injector would cause a 'miss' in the engine & more smoke than usual.
How long has the oil been in the engine?
Oil could be diluted with diesel from the umbrella type seals on the injector pump drive gear.
Pull the dipstick from the engine & place a drop of oil on a clean paper towel. If there is any fuel in the oil it will separate from the oil & create a damp mark around the engine oil droplet.
Usually this problem will cause the oil level to rise - maybe yours is not severe yet ??

You could also have excessive oil leakage around the rocker gear area. Pull the rocker cover & start 'er up & see what is happening.....

xgiovannix12

Occupation
just changed the oil right after I did the pinion Ill have to drop the oil on a towel and see I have not seen no overfull oil yet i am running 15-40 and it looks a little thinner then 15 40 Possible the diesel is making it thinner ?

Edit: I forgot to add that I have about 3 hours on the new oil

Last edited:

xgiovannix12

Occupation
A stuck injector would cause a 'miss' in the engine & more smoke than usual.
How long has the oil been in the engine?
Oil could be diluted with diesel from the umbrella type seals on the injector pump drive gear.
Pull the dipstick from the engine & place a drop of oil on a clean paper towel. If there is any fuel in the oil it will separate from the oil & create a damp mark around the engine oil droplet.
Usually this problem will cause the oil level to rise - maybe yours is not severe yet ??

You could also have excessive oil leakage around the rocker gear area. Pull the rocker cover & start 'er up & see what is happening.....

checked the oil this morning and its like water again . SO the diesel is mixing with the oil and overfilling the motor causing it to blowby out of the vent. When I change them 2 seals should i change anything else while im in there?

xgiovannix12

Occupation
I dont think there is a primer on this motor . Or i misunderstood what you ment about primer

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
checked the oil this morning and its like water again . SO the diesel is mixing with the oil and overfilling the motor causing it to blowby out of the vent. When I change them 2 seals should i change anything else while im in there?

If the oil level is rising & oil is diluted - those seals are the only cause on that engine.
Tie the throttle lever to full throttle position when you remove the pump, as it is possible the governor weights inside the pump can dislodge.

TIP - A 9/16" half moon or starter wrench is required & you may need to grind the wall thickness of the wrench to allow it to fit on the nut ;)

Last edited:

Billrog

Occupation
band mill , backhoe and dump truck
The primer comment was just a guess on my part having had it happen at one time but couldn't remember which machine or motor. The pump seals I'd forgotten could be the culprit but it looks like alran has it pegged for you.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Smart money says to time the pump BEFORE pulling it off.. and WIRE the throttle back to the FULL THROTTLE position.
Shut off the fuel at the tank.. remove the small window on the side of the inj. pump, let it drain..
Rotate the engine by hand till the 2 lines line up.. 1 is stationary and 1 will come around..
NOW pull the pump off..
IF the brass tube [pilot tube] has any gouges/grooves in it.. don't waste your time w/ new seals only.. get the tube replaced.. or you'll be pulling it again.
Good luck..

xgiovannix12

Occupation
I got the job done Its gotten better but not fully fixed. Pilot tube was a little worn. I dont think case can get my a piot tube so I might have to replace the pump. Im on a search for a tube right now.

Delmer

Case didn't make the pump, take/send it to a "pump guy". Hmmmm, where could we find a pump guy?:D

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
The pilot tube# is either> 16320 or 16323 depending on your pump #..
A GOOD pump shop will have the tool to PULL it out, instead of dismantling the entire pump to PRESS it out..
P-tube is around 25.00 + labor..
if you attempt to do it yourself, there is a precise dimension it gets pressed back too.. measure before removing..

xgiovannix12

Occupation
the injection shop wants to do a whole rebuild Thepumpguy i will send you a pm

xgiovannix12

Occupation
I want to give a very special thanks to THEPUMPGUYSC for a wonderful job on my injection pump. He did a complete overhaul with an eid upgrade and the pump worked wonders when I got it back. Im very happy and money well spent. I want to thank you again for a fast turn around and a great rebuild. I hope to send more pumps your way in the future