• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580c Circuit Breaker electrical question

MurrayB

Can anyone please answer this question. I have a Case 580C backhoe, and am repairing the switches on the instrument panel. What are the little block 'circuit breakers' mounted to the plate under the dash console and how do they work? Are they fuses or circuit breakers? If fuses, replacement parts aren't available. If they are really 'circuit breakers' how do they reset? Any insight would be helpful. I can't find any information anywhere.

Thanks very much in advanced.

Murray

nova481

Occupation
Retired Union Electrician
I believe they work like this one

franklin2

Local autoparts stores carry those also. They work on heat. When they cool off they self reset unless the problem is still there.

Ed White

Could these cause an alternator to go bad ? Have a 1993 580SK that had an alternator only putting out 11.5 . Replaced with a new one ($185.00) and it lasted about 3 mins with the same out put 12.90 then dropped to 11.5 also!!

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Those breakers are there to prevent damage to the electrical system. If the alt. is not charging even after replacement you may have other issues.

Tinkerer

Clean all the battery cable connections. Especially the ground wire to the frame.
If you are working on the instrument panel, check all the connections and wires on the ammeter.
I would look at the ignition switch connections also.
You may not have an alternator problem.
Take the new one back to where you bought it and have them check it.
Are you checking the alternator output with a VOM ? Or, going by what the ammeter in the dash shows.

Ed White

with a vom. and now have instrument panels out , found a bad bulb(replaced) but no obvious wire issues,haven't checked fuses yet. Alternator reads 12.75 with key off as well as batteries after using charger. When I turn key part way all gauges take a jump, including tach, but tach dosen't move with engine running . A few lights work but not turn signals or hazards. read tha tach operates off of alternator ? What wire does that/? Thanks for the thumbs up COY ( that is my brothers name also, kinda rare spelling) Haven't checked the groundings yet and bat cables were a touch loose at first attempts!

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
There's a cab relay by the fuse panel also, you can see it when you remove the fuse panel door but you can't really get to it. You may want to check all the harness connectors under the machine for corrosion in the pin and sockets.
Not many of us Coy's around with the same spelling. I've only known one or two myself.

Ed White

OK, thanks , it was on my list to remove floor panel , as I experienced on a 1989 case 580k the harness under the floor had lost its wire tie and fell onto driveshaft and chewd through over 3/4 of the wiring!! Lotta splicing ? Which I am an amateur at! Still not sure how tach operates, needle jumps with key on but don't move with engine running.

gggraham

Occupation
Licensed Heavy Duty Equipment Mechanic
The fuse blocks in those machines were prone to corrosion because they are so close to the floor. Best way to access it is to remove the dash. Unbolt the fuse panel and look in behind at the terminals. Like COY said there is a cab relay next to the fuse panel, well known for corrosion or wires coming loose this will cause all kinds of lights going out intermittently. Fuse blocks and terminals can be purchased locally from a good electrical supplier.
Tach wire is on the W terminal on the alternator it was quite common for these wires to break or short out. Just run a new wire from the tach to the dash. should be a yellow wire with a red tracer. Clean all those copper contacts on the dash and the contacts on the dash plug. Make sure they are straight and not bent over. The signals not working is usually the flasher unit part# D147166. Remove the bulb holders clean the contacts on the holder and on the dash.

Ed White

Very helpful,I am in the process of checking all you mentioned, and replacing flashers and run a ( W ) wire to dash. might e a day or two, Thanks GGGraham. got my fingers crossed!

stinky64

Occupation
big truck wrench/fixer of things
Tach runs by a cable, if it's jumping cable is probably broken inside sheath and making just enough contact to make it move a little. Did you ever try revving the engine a little after starting to see if that energizes the alternator?

Ed White

No , just installed new Alt and started engine ,It read 12.90 istead of 13 or 14 but within a few seconds dropped to 11.5 with VOM. Haven't found a cable for tach? Haven't been able to do more yet, other family obligations iin the way. I thought ALTs read the same with high or low revs, but will try it. thanks for hanging in there for me

stinky64

Occupation
big truck wrench/fixer of things
Every time I start my C let it warm for a minute or so for oil pressure then give 'er a little high rev and volts come right up. Didn't ever have to do that until swapping out alt. to diagnose another fellers charging issues (long story) but it works for me. Tach cable is the thick "line" that plugs into the back of your dash cluster and runs to the right side of the engine in between the starter and power steering pump provided your machine is equipped with 207D engine.

Last edited:

franklin2

My 480C has a tach cable also. It's just like a speedometer cable on a older car or truck, all mechanical. But maybe he has a later unit and they went to a electric tach?

Ed White

Thats true , guess there is a wire ( W ) spade clip on back of alt. will make up a bypass wire , but not sure if it goes through a resistor or ? in connection (1993 case 580SK 6380 hrs) but have no clue how long tach hasn't been working as I just purchased the Hoe. thanks for the inputs guys!!

Tinkerer

Tach runs by a cable, if it's jumping cable is probably broken inside sheath and making just enough contact to make it move a little. Did you ever try revving the engine a little after starting to see if that energizes the alternator?

This thread started out about Murry B's 580C and the circuit breakers in it, but was side-tracked when Ed started asking about his 580SK.
Ed has a 580SK and it has an electric tachometer.
The picture you posted of a 580C starting circuit does have some value because it shows how the idiot light is wired into the OEM charging circuit.