• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580B Swing Cylinder Kit Installation Question

Eagle Chief

The cylinder repair kit that I have is the one pictured below from HW. The kit was specifically listed for my cylinder, cyl.#G34881. The piece in question is the piece that I placed a red X on in the first picture. I found no place where that piece would fit? When I disassembled my cylinder I didn't find anything that resembled that piece. In the exploded view (second picture) that piece is nowhere to be found. When I installed the rod seal #6 in the second picture there was a little extra space, about .025 but not near enough to get that extra piece in. The extra piece is about .050 thick. The replacement rod seal was the same width as the one being replaced. My question, was that extra space behind the rod seal where the extra piece was suppose to go? It wouldn't fit so I left it out. Will that extra space be a problem? 580B Swing Cyl seal kit.jpg hyd_cyl_split_piston.JPG

Gilbert603

I’ve done a few cylinders on my 580B. The piece I wondered about was the grey piece with a diagonal slit in it. There wasn’t one in there when I took it apart, and couldn’t get it to fit with the new seals installed. I circled it in yellow, What is it? Thanks

Attachments

• 47794D26-0DA9-4A37-AB2E-45E6B6D642B6.jpeg
    47794D26-0DA9-4A37-AB2E-45E6B6D642B6.jpeg
    186.9 KB · Views: 23

Eagle Chief

That is an important piece. it is essentially a bearing surface that supports the rod and the rod runs on. Why it isn't listed in the view below IDK but I have circled it in red. You more than likely did not remove the old one or you would have recognized it. Not replacing the old one you shouldn't have a problem. To not have one in there at all however might be a problem.
580B Swing Exploded View.jpg

Gilbert603

There was definitely not one in there when I took it apart. And I absolutely could not get it to fit when I installed the new seals. Could get it close but the tolerances were too tight, there was no way it was going. Although the gland had a metal sleeve pressed in it, it looks like if that were not there the fiber one would have fit. The pressed in metal sleeve (bearing?) takes the place of the fiber one? Was I supposed to remove the pressed in piece and install the fiber one. I did a few cyclinders like this last summer and have 50 hours since with no issues. I hope I’m not causing damage. A little worried now lol

Eagle Chief

There was definitely not one in there when I took it apart. And I absolutely could not get it to fit when I installed the new seals. Could get it close but the tolerances were too tight, there was no way it was going. Although the gland had a metal sleeve pressed in it, it looks like if that were not there the fiber one would have fit. The pressed in metal sleeve (bearing?) takes the place of the fiber one? Was I supposed to remove the pressed in piece and install the fiber one. I did a few cyclinders like this last summer and have 50 hours since with no issues. I hope I’m not causing damage. A little worried now lol
Hopefully someone with more knowledge will comment. There may be a design difference between some cylinders

Tinkerer

Many times a gland will have a brass sleeve in the same location as a fiber one would be Gilbert. Look for built up rust in the gland bore where the fiber sleeve would go.
Yes , I said rust. It will make that bore smaller in diameter and prevent the sleeve from fitting properly.
I have seen some that were in that condition and I could get the fiber sleeve in but it would bind up the rod. A wire brush in a drill usually cleans the bore and allow the sleeve fit the way it was designed to be.

Bls repair

Occupation
Equipment operator,mechanic
that looks like part of wiper seal group #5 that goes in the cylinder end cap to keep cylinder rod clean

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
The piece you are wondering about is a buffer seal, they were used on later models that had an extra groove in the gland just below the rod seal, the kits were made up to fit all cylinders that size. So you can toss that one if your gland doesn't have the groove.

Gilbert603

Thanks you guys for the response. I feel confident now that mine has the brass one vs fiber. I should be good. I knew that the kits would come with extra parts to cover all the bases with the different type of glands so I didn’t worry about it too much during the rebuild last year. Although it took awhile to figure it all out being a newbie.