• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580B Pump spline shaft

Hillwalker

Occupation
Retired
The coupler (4) end of the pump shaft is very worn and I want to remove the shaft (3) and coupling tube(2), but they seemsto be frozen fast. Any hints for anyone who has successfully rebuilt one of these. The snap ring that is shown in the drawing is missing. (probably rusted away long ago) See attached PDF for diagram of pump and fittings.

Attachments

• 580B Pump.pdf
    31.9 KB · Views: 25

Vetech63

I am assuming the pump is still mounted. Those rust all the time...……….you can shoot it down with a penetrating oil and let it soak but there is no guaranty that will help. I can remove most with a well placed pry bar but usually access isn't real good. Removing the pump makes it a lot easier. Once you do get it apart, be sure to check ALL of the splines, they are usually severely worn on the pump shaft also.

Hillwalker

Occupation
Retired
The pump is off and sitting on my workbench. The stub shaft and coupling tube is frozen on. I am thinking of using a metal cutting disk to make two cuts on either side of the spacer tube and split it off the two splined shafts. hopefully this will allow the tube to be pried off the two shafts. If I find that the pump shaft splines are badly worn, I will drill a hole in the new tube and pump shaft for a bolt to lock the two together. Thoughts?

Vetech63

One cut down the length may be enough. Go ahead and install the snap ring and you won't need to lock it together. Put antisieze on the splines when you assembly it and you should be good to go.

Vetech63

I misread the bolt part. That should work as I have seen that before with no known issues.

Delmer

I would just replace the worn coupler, or just the rubber bushings in the coupler if it will still hold them. If the shafts are frozen to #2, then I'd guess they aren't worn too bad in that area.

If you have it on the bench, and need to get it apart. I'd set #2 over an anvil or railroad tie with the pump supported on a block of wood, smack #2 every 10 degrees as you rotate the shaft. Getting #2 up to 200F won't hurt anything as long as you keep the pump a little cooler.