• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580B - Diesel in Engine Oil [FRUSTRATED!]

kjones95206

I have a Case 580B backhoe that is leaking diesel into the engine. It leaks when the engine is stopped and probably when running also. I removed the Roosa-Master DBGGCC431-46AJ injection pump and replaced the two umbrella seals on the pump shaft. It continued to leak after replacing the seals. I thought that I may have "rolled" the first umbrella seal over when I replaced the seals the first time so I installed a second set of umbrella seals and was I certain that I hadn't rolled the seal during installation, but it still leaked. On my third attempt I disassembled the pump and changed all of the seals including new umbrella seals. The bronze pilot tube that mates with the umbrella seals had grooves in it so I replaced the pilot tube with a new one... I thought that the tube was the source of my problem. After reassembly, diesel still leaks into the engine. It's my understanding that the only way diesel can leak into the engine when stopped is through the umbrella seals.
You can understand my frustration... What am I missing? Case 580B Fuel System.jpg

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
What kinda glue did u use on the new pilot tube.. it has to be a 2 part epoxy.. & given enough time to set up.(24 hrs) I use an oven on 300 for 1 hr.. but I use the approved 2prt epoxy..

Bill Edwards

Long time since I had anything to do with these, do they have a lift pump that's driven off the cam? If so that would be a likely source.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
I don’t think there’s a lift pump on that old girl..
& YES, I would suspect that it’s leaking between the housing and p tube..
But in the odd chance it does have a LP, it may be leaking THERE.

kjones95206

Can you tell me the suitable 2 part epoxy for the pilot tube?
thepumpguysc is correct in that the pump does not have a lift pump.
I've ordered another seal kit and the pump is coming off again.
I feel stupid that I didn't figure the leakage around the pilot tube myself... many thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

thepumpguysc

Occupation
I can’t comment on any over the counter epoxy as I use the factory “glue”.. it costs 70.00 a set w a 100.00 minimum purchase..
Which means u have to order 2 sets.!!!
THAT doesn’t bother me cuz I use it daily/weekly..
I’m sure if u read a couple of packages, you’ll figure it out..
Make sure u get the OLD STUFF OFF the Pilot Tube.. & BE SURE to fill in all the grooves that are cut in the P T..
Give it time to cure.!!!
I don’t care if it says 15 minutes!!!
Let it sit for 24 hrs.!!!
Or 1 hr in a 300* oven..
Make sure it’s level when u let it sit or in the oven or the glue will run & u end up w a chisel & hammer in your hands..
Good luck n let us know how u make out..