• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580B after market clam shell bucket

Gilbert603

Hello guys. I have a 1974 Case 580B diesel with a wain roy clam shell bucket on the hoe. At some point someone had this bucket installed, it’s great, very usefull, only problem is it keeps drifting open. While digging etc I have to constantly keep closing the bucket. I’ve done a lot of repairs to the machine already for the year that I’ve had it and mostly because I have the service manual to follow. But this is an aftermarket set up so nothing in the manual for it. The piston in the bucket is nice and dry so I don’t think it needs new seals. The three way valve in the cab gets its oil source from the stabilizer valve. How should I proceed in toubleshooting? Relief in the stabilizer valve, seals/o rings in the three way, etc? I’m not really sure. Thanks in advance for the help!

Gilbert603

I don’t but luck has it the seal just started leaking quite a bit. Last time I looked it seemed dry, but now it is in fact leaking so I’m sure that’s what’s causing it to drift open. I’d rather deal with a gland seal vs playing with reliefs etc.
thanks for the response!

Tinkerer

A dry rod is no indication of the condition of the gland (piston) rings.
Now that oil is getting past the wiper seal it is time for a new kit for the cylinder. I would be surprised if the rings arn't worn completely out.

Gilbert603

Thank you for the input. I'll get around to repairing it soon but right now I have alot of work to do with the tractor so I've been putting it off.