• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580 Super M Series 2 Anti RollBack Linkage Problems

Blueacre

Just bought a Case 580 Super M Series 2 at an auction. The Anti Rollback linkage rod from the right side front loader arm was removed. I think I found out why - the 2 bearings are seized on the short rod that goes over the battery cover area and pushes on the loader control valve linkage under the cab. Had to put a 24 inch pipe wrench on it and lots of WD40 to get it to move.

See attached diagram of the Rollback Rod assembly I found online for a 580N - looks the same as my 580SM.

I removed the 4 bolts that hold the 2 bearings to the frame but there doesnt seem to be enough room to get the rod out without removing the 4 steel hydraulic line that run from the loader valve to the right lift cylinder and rollback cylinders.

Even if I can get the rod assembly out does anyone know how the bearings are replaced - the rod has a 90 degree bend in both ends and can't see how they could be replaced unless they are a split assembly ? I cant seem to find these parts anywhere in the case online parts list ??

There is also a torsion spring on the control valve end of the rod - one end of the spring is broken but I also cant see how a new spring can be installed over the 90 degree bends in the rod ?
Appreciate any input on how to repair this problem.

Attachments

• Rollback rod assembly.png
    Rollback rod assembly.png
    41.6 KB · Views: 19

Delmer

I'd guess you have to buy the whole rod assembly with the bearings already installed, and you might have to have been there when it was born to install it.

I'd try to get it worked loose, even if those are ball bearings and permanently frozen, get one of the races free, if it's still too tight, spray it with soapy, salty water, and work it every day till it's LOOSE, then rinse, grease, and forget it.

Blueacre

thanks for the info Delmar and Tinkerer. I think the rod assembly could be removed if I disconnected the 4 steel lines from the loader valve but it looks like a lot of work in a tight area so I am going to try to free up the bearings in place as suggested. I guess the spring might be able to be pushed over the bend in the end of the rod with a little persuasion. I will give it a try if I get the bearings loosened up.

thanks again for the quick replies. I have one more question re the auxiliary hydraulic valve on the machine that I will post in another topic.

Blueacre

Update - I tried to free up the bearings today - they are a brass spherical ball inside a steel retainer. I was able to get the shaft moving a bit but found that the spherical balls were just turning in the housing and still seized on the shaft. I ended up cutting the angle iron bracket where the front bearing mounts. I cut it close to where the bracket weld to the frame and it is in a easily accessible spot to weld it back on. Cutting the angle gave me the clearance for the front bearing and I was able to pry the steel hydraulic lines at the rear of the shaft up high enough to get the rear bearing and shaft over the rear bearing mounting bracket and then pull the shaft out the front. Once out I wire brushed the entire exposed shaft and was then able to drive the brass bearings to along the shaft so I could clean the are where the bearing sit. A little grease and the bearings are now moving freely on the shaft. Just have to order the replacement spring now and reassemble.